• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

myxi question

Schtoffen

Mama Doe
Hi All,

Paranoid bunny mummy question. A friend who lives miles away found a rabbit in her grounds with myxi yesterday... As I work with her... is there any risk that I could take it home to my two...?

I know it sounds stupid put I know it's v.contagious...could it come in on her shoes or something then I pick it up??

Mine aren't vacinated against it because they live indoors and HATE the vets....

xxxx

im affraid even indoor rabbits can get it through mosquito bites etc... so if you can i would get them vaccinated. im not sure if you can transfer it that far but im sure someone else will know:wave:

Myxi spreads through fly bites etc.

VHD can spread through shoes and material from infected rabbits etc.

Lucy is very much right, i'd strongly recommend you have your buns vaccinated against both VHD and Myxi, or even better, have them vaccinated by the combined vaccine which covers both.

Hi :wave:
Mine are house bunnies and i have them vaccinated every six months and yearly for VHD as we live in a high risk area for Myxi.They don't like going, but it only takes a few minutes to do and once home and had a few dandelions they are fine. I am hoping that when the time is right that they can start having the combined vaccination, so they don't have to visit the vets so often. :D

Myxi spreads through fly bites etc.

VHD can spread through shoes and material from infected rabbits etc.

Lucy is very much right, i'd strongly recommend you have your buns vaccinated against both VHD and Myxi, or even better, have them vaccinated by the combined vaccine which covers both.

This!

Vaccinate as soon as you can (though there is no risk of Myxo from the friend)

Mine hate the vets too but one sometimes has to be cruel to be kind. It's true.

I think a slightly stressed bunny having a jab that could potentially save it's life is nothing compared to a bunny with myxi that's basically the walking dead.

Best to err on the side of caution I think.

Parsley LOVES the vet . . . he and Mrs Ford have a 'thing' going . . last week she spent a day of her holidays taking him for a CT scan, and she sees him at least once a week. He is next due to see her on Monday - she insisted we bring him in the first day she is back from hols:love::lol:

Parsley LOVES the vet . . . he and Mrs Ford have a 'thing' going . . last week she spent a day of her holidays taking him for a CT scan, and she sees him at least once a week. He is next due to see her on Monday - she insisted we bring him in the first day she is back from hols:love::lol:

Ginger had a GI scare again the other day, we got her out of it ourselves with our regular regime - took her to the vets the following day for a check up, and made sure it was 'our' vet Rachel.

We got there, she was running a little late.

We got in and she said "HELLO LITTLE ONES!!! IVE MISSED YOU!" and said she often looks at the lists thinking "oh i look forward to seeing so and so" or "oh another boring day..." and said she saw Ginger's name and her eyes lit up :love:

Thank for your replies guys. I know it's unpopular not to vacinate but I'm sceptical for two reasons; one I kept rabbits for years when I lived in the country as a child (now quite a high myxi area, don't know about then) and my rabbits lived to 6 or 7... I'd never even heard of myxi vaccinations back then. The other reason is my very rabbit savvy vet confided to me that she's never seen a case of a pet rabbit getting myxi indoor or outdoor (I live in a big town).

I suspect its one of those situations where the risk is tiny but I'd kick myself if I didn't. Can't help but feeling it would be just like the industry to overhype the importance of vacination, as cynacle as it sounds!

I'll have to think about it.... I know Little would be find with it (she jumps into the vets arms the little tart :D) but Big hates it so much...he sits very still quivering for hours after each trip. :(

Thank for your replies guys. I know it's unpopular not to vacinate but I'm sceptical for two reasons; one I kept rabbits for years when I lived in the country as a child (now quite a high myxi area, don't know about then) and my rabbits lived to 6 or 7... I'd never even heard of myxi vaccinations back then. The other reason is my very rabbit savvy vet confided to me that she's never seen a case of a pet rabbit getting myxi indoor or outdoor (I live in a big town).

I suspect its one of those situations where the risk is tiny but I'd kick myself if I didn't. Can't help but feeling it would be just like the industry to overhype the importance of vacination, as cynacle as it sounds!

I'll have to think about it.... I know Little would be find with it (she jumps into the vets arms the little tart :D) but Big hates it so much...he sits very still quivering for hours after each trip. :(

Years ago, no rabbits were vaccinated.

I would definitely vaccinate. Not worth the risk. Have you read the posts on here about rabbits with myxi and VHD - horrific.

As for your previous bunnies living to 6 or 7, rabbits now live for well over 10 years. This is partly because of better care of them regarding food (particularly the importance of good hay and pellets etc) and also because we now vaccinate against known killers - VHD and myxi.

Mine don't like going to the vet (I don't enjoy taking them, either), and neither do my cats, but I wouldn't let that stop me from taking them for what I consider to be essential vaccinations.

Your vet may not have seen it but it doesn't mean it doesn't happen at all. It's like VHD, vets say it's not in the area but that's often beecause it kills so quickly there is no time to get the animal to the vet so the vets don't see them.

I'm not sure what country you are in but in the UK we have a combined vaccine now so only one vet trip needed a year. My Smudge also hates the travelling but, even though he's indoors, I won't risk it.

I am a Vet and although I don't own rabbits yet I would always vaccinate them. I have seen a case of myxi in a house rabbit that luckily managed to survive; this was mainly due to the fact he had been vaccinated!

Where I lived in the Sixties as a kid, seeing a wild rabbit dead with myxi was a very common sight and none of mine died of it either. That was more good luck than anything though, especially as wild rabbits used to sun themselves yards from where our hutch was in our orchard.

My kids' friend's mum told me she had a bunny who contracted myxi, despite never going in a run or leaving its hutch much, poor thing... And it had had the old style single jab.

The vet I saw last week to give one of my buns the new vaccination is new to the practice and looks younger than some of my pairs of pants. He can't have been practising more than a few months but he told me he had seen several pet buns with myxi already in his career and, as everyone else says who has seen it, you wouldn't wish that on any rabbit.

a question please... my belgian boys were vaccinated as kits at their breeders with the individual vaccine - they are now approaching 7/8 months old. am i right in thinking they are due now for the combined vaccine? I'm in middle of birmingham so no wild buns at all and one local vet has confided they have never seen one case here but I am somewhat paranoid and would rather not take the risk.

a question please... my belgian boys were vaccinated as kits at their breeders with the individual vaccine - they are now approaching 7/8 months old. am i right in thinking they are due now for the combined vaccine? I'm in middle of birmingham so no wild buns at all and one local vet has confided they have never seen one case here but I am somewhat paranoid and would rather not take the risk.

Yes i would think now would be about when they need a booster for their myxi. Did they have both vaccinations? You could ask your vet if they have any single myxo left and have the combined next march.

Doesn't sound as though you have a rabbit-savvy vet - if they were, they would recommend vaccinating, not state that they have never seen a case in your area.

Doesn't sound as though you have a rabbit-savvy vet - if they were, they would recommend vaccinating, not state that they have never seen a case in your area.
thank you both
they aren't one i use- i had just phoned them to get prices as round here the price for combined vaccine varries between £25- £45 for same thing and i had this optomism might find a cheapish one near home!

The boys have only had a single myxi jab- not had the other vh stuff. I shall get them the combination jab next week .sadly not at same vet that did castration though as much as I like the vets I do not like their vaccine prices.

Back