• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nearly lost Harvey,dental tomorrow.UD lost him

biskit

Young Bun
:cry:Well at the beginning of the week I was so excited at finishing the shed for the rabbits and moving Harvey in.Now I am home from vets with a pile of medication and Harvey is booked in for dental tomorrow.Got such a fright I thought Harvey was going to die.He was fine on Monday night,then on Tuesday morning when I got up and went straight out to rabbits as I always do,Harvey was just sitting there,not moving.He wouldn't go into his run and was not remotely interested in any food not even his favourite and he hadn't pooed overnight at all.I took him to the vets as soon as possible and she looked in his mouth and he has spurs which has cut into his tongue.She thinks he was in pain and as a result wouldn't eat stopped pooing etc.I got him home with a pile of meducation and the vet injected him with pain killers and gut stimulant.Thankfully within a few hours he had perked up,I kept him inside so I could monitor him.He is back to his normal self but his poos are still strange some sausage like and some strung together possibly with hair.I got Harvey when he was 14 weeks and he had a poor diet before I got him,he was fed muesli mix,lettuce and bread.He wasn't keen on eating hay when I first got him but I weaned him off the muesli mix onto hay,some pellets,herbs etc.He doesn't get bread or lettuce anymore either.The vet says he is young to have spurs he is only about 6 months.Could his bad diet have contributed to his teeth and now that I have him on hay once he has his dental will I manage to keep the spurs in check.I know they may grow back,I am hoping its not too often.He really was very ill and the prospect of him being like that every two months is worrying me somewhat and left me feeling a bit deflated:(.I am happy to say that he is fine just now and is back to his cheeky self,he also seems to be more affectionate and has taken to following me around like a wee puppy:D.I hope he is ok after his dental tomorrow!

Last edited:
Aw, fingers crossed for Harvey's dental. I'm sure he will be fine.

I have no experience of young buns with dental problems, although my old MrsR used to have all sorts of teeth problems. She didn't end up with regular dentals (i.e. every 6 weeks, 2 months etc.), it was just very much a case of looking for symptoms that a problem was occuring. Difficulty eating, drooling, not quite herself etc.

Let us know how he gets on :thumb:. x

Thanks for the replies:).Can spurs on the teeth cause irregular shaped poos?I have never seen such an assortment of shapes!He is doing lots but not one is normal shaped.Some are really long,others are pointy,some are like sausages and others are tiny.Could the meds also do this?I am hoping after his dental they are better shaped and I can stop obsessing about it so much!

Just went into Harveys shed and what an amount of poo!He is playing happily,eating his hay but there is loads and loads of big funny shaped poos.There is no runny ones thankfully.Could it be his gut has been off for a wee while and it is now moving again and clearing things through and thats why there is such an amount?I hope things improve for him after his teeth is sorted.

Oh well,just dropped Harvey at vets.Have to phone at 2,I hope hes ok and getting his teeth sorted leads to more normal poos or I might begin to worry that there is something else going on:(

Hi.Thank you to everyone who asked about Harvey.Unfortunately last night after a week of battling,it got too much for him and he passed away.I am gutted:(.We only had him 2 months but he was such a friendly affectionate little bunny and he will be sadly missed by us all.Night night little boy.xx

im so so sorry youve lost poor little Harvey.....dental problems are so common in bunnies i am afraid....and its luck of the draw with a GA....but then it is with any pet or indeed human.
Ive had several dental buns and indeed still have even more...a lionhead cross..two dwarf lops...and a french lop. Two of them have a problem with their GI tract and suffer temporary narrowing of gi tract to a blockage. My little rescu bun casper we had no idea if he was a baby or not but he had to have his inscisors out as there was a tooth root abscess and his heart stopped under the GA..the vet got him back. But its such a delicate problem.

Its even more heartbreaking when they seem to be doing better..then they go.

Binky free little fella. sending hugs ...xxx

Thank you all so much for your kind words.Harvey was a lovely little rabbit and through him I have learnt that rabbits are wonderful little creatures that deserve so much care and attention and bring great enjoyment.I miss him though,we had just finished his new shed:(.I still have little Daisy though and I am sure when the time is right I will get another little bun,although I wish I could have Harvey back:(

Back