• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Recovering rabbit advice please?

sierra*323

Mama Doe
Ok I am being optimistic and hoping that Tango can come home today. If that's the case, there's a possibility that Finx isn't going to accept him back straight away as he's spent 2 nights at the vets.

I imagine if he's ready to come home he might still need medicating, fibreplex or something. Do you think it is better to set up an indoor cage for him? It's not big enough, but it's that or put him back outside with Finx. Or work out how to separate their run so he can have half, but that would make it hard to give him any medicine he needs as he is a nightmare to catch without stressing him out.

I want to plan ahead but am not sure! The vets will ring at about 9 but I start work at 10:30 so if he needs to come home this morning I need to have prepared. That said, if I'm at work all day maybe it's better for him to stay with them until after work?

Arrrrggh :roll: I hope he is better!!

I'm no expert on bonds, but the longer you leave them apart, the higher the chance of them falling out, yes? So if Tango has to be indoors for meds, couldn't you bring Finx in too? I have no idea if they should go straight back together again or what so I'll wait and hear the answer from someone more experienced!

If I were you I would leave him until after work. At least that way he's under a watchful eye until you have the time to turn your own watchful eyes on him.

I hope he's feeling better from whatever was bothering him.

I would leave him at the Vets til you finish work

I'd take Finx with you when you collect Tango and introduce them at the Vets

If all is well you could see how they are in a carrier together. If OK at the Vets in a carrier they are likely to be OK in the carrier together during transit.

Once home I would not put them back into their normal accomadation but somewhere neutral, even if it is relatively small. If all continues to go well for a few days do a blitz of their normal accommodation-neutralise smells using Vinegar, move the 'furniture and fixtures' about, even move the hutch/run to a new position if possible. Then once Tango is 100% back to normal you can attempt to put them back 'home' and watch their interaction very carefully.

If, however, things look 'iffy' from the start today you are probably going to have to keep them separate until Tango is 100% well and then rebond them all over again

Good luck

Thank you both! I have fished Finx's old indoor cage out of the shed, it is 120 x 60 cm so will be cosy but will have to do short term. She hasn't used it for a year now but I'll clean it just in case. I guess the vets is neutral territory, I'll bring Finx and see how they are. They both dislike the car and usually comfort each other so hopefully this will do the trick.

The only thing I'm a bit worried about is if they do get on and Finx can stay with him then I won't be able to monitor what he is passing? Also, assuming they can spend the night in the small cage, I am working until Sunday, should I put Finx back outside while I'm at work and position Tango's cage so they can see each other, just to be safe?

Sorry for all the questions, I don't even know if he is ready to come home yet! :oops:

Back