• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Drinking from a bottle/gut problems

emmiiee

Warren Veteran
A complete long shot, but has anyone had a rabbit whose has gut problems caused/not helped by drinking from a bottle

when Matilda drinks, she knocks her head right back! and her stomach gurgles like crazy, im wondering if shes gulping air?? which is not heling her stomach/urine problems

like I said its a long shot, but im just thinking of anything that could explain it :/ I have swapped her to a bowl now!

Is she mouth breathing? Afraid I have not a sausage about your q but rabbits who are struggling to breathe do tip their head right back.

This may be completely useless dependant on you buns problem, but I believe that rabbits drink more water from a bowl than they do from a bottle. Maybe the extra fluid is helping somewhere?

Is she mouth breathing? Afraid I have not a sausage about your q but rabbits who are struggling to breathe do tip their head right back.

This may be completely useless dependant on you buns problem, but I believe that rabbits drink more water from a bowl than they do from a bottle. Maybe the extra fluid is helping somewhere?

shes only tips her head back to drink, other than that shes fine, and her urine is really weak, also translusent, but thats because of her urine problem shes drinking alot x

Can dehydration cause stasis? They use fluid therapy in extreme cases don't they. I always syringe some water into Smudge when he has mild stasis and it seems to help. Maybe because of the urinary issues she needs more water on board and isn't getting enough from the water bottle. Mine used to make squeaking noises when drinking from bottles, but don't so much with bowls.

Back