• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Warning over Flystrike, feel so sick

kayjay

Warren Veteran
This will be my last post on RU. I thought I was a good rabbit owner but I'm not. Over the summer I have struggled more and more with my rabbit's mucky bottom, taken her to the vets countless times to be shaved and tried to clean her myself but each time her skin was so thin I've cut it and she's had to have glue or stitches. I tried everything to stop the problem from pellets/no pellets/hay only/no veg etc etc. Nothing had any effect, she'd be ok for a few days then she just didnt' clean her bum and the problem built up again. I checked her daily. I checked her and cleaned her out on Monday evening, quite late on. Her bum was dirty and I couldn't clean it so I just thought to myself I'd book her into the vets on Weds or Thurs as I was busy yesterday. Yesterday I went to feed her and she was seemingly ok, lying down in the bedroom bit of her hutch, looked fine. And I didn't check her as I knew that if I did she'd run off the next time she saw me and hide in the bottom of the run where I couldn't get her, and I'd need to get her to take her to the vets. Last night my hubby fed her, in the dark. This morning I went out and she was really really unwell. I tipped her up and to my horror saw maggots burrowing into her. I vomited and my hubby rushed her to the vets (I was hysterical) and she was pts.

I haven't stopped crying yet, 12 hours on, and I don't know if I ever will. I got complacent as she'd had a mucky bum for a couple of years and she'd always been ok. I'd actually contacted Kayj and said I couldn't cope anymore with her and she needed an indoor home where someone could keep a close eye on her and I was going to take her to the vets to be cleaned up again before she went. Over the past year, I cleaned her, washed her, got her shaved and I got complacent. I should have checked her yesterday and I didn't. And she died a horrible death and I feel so horribly guilty and sick to my stomach. I will never have a pet again.

I don't want to hear it wasn't my fault, it was. What I want is to say to anyone out there with a 'dirty bum' rabbit, check them as much as you can. I had read about fly strike but had no idea it happens so quickly or it was so horrific. I'm an ex nurse and have seen some horrible things but this was one of the worst moments of my life. I'm so sorry for letting Opal down, she'd been a devoted companion to my rabbit MJ before he died and she deserved so much better. I'm so sorry for letting Kayj down. Please don't let your rabbit die like this. Check them and check them again. I'm so sorry.

:( I don't really know what to say but didn't want to read and run. Sending hugs and hoping things get better for you. Sleep tight little one xx

Please don't give up!

I know you said you don't want to hear it, but it really wasn't your fault!
You did everything for her. Flystrike can happen so, so suddenly!

The fact that she had a mucky bum for a while, and you took such good care of her, is a testament to you as a person, you as a bunny owner and your deep love for her! You took care of her and loved her. She knew you loved her.

I know it's painful now, and it will be painful still, but you shouldn't give up. You shouldn't say you will never have another pet.

It's not true that you were to blame.

Thinking of you in this difficult time.

xx

I am so so sorry.

I have a rabbit who gets a mucky bum and I know the constant battle to keep on top of it. I just came to bed now and thought 'I won't check her bum, she hates me doing it and she will just run from me more' , I can completely understand how you leave it 'just that once'. Your post made me check Poppy's bottom and highlighted the importance when I was becoming complacent so thank you.

We aren't perfect,we make mistakes, it is human nature. I know nothing anyone can say will make you feel better but please try not to be too hard on yourself. Big hug and Binky free little girl.x.x.

:cry:oh hun...Im so very sorry....we all sometimes dont do what we know we should do or check...I know how you feel...this happened to a bunny I had when I was younger...I didnt clean out the aviaries and my bunny Thumper also was in this state...Ive never really been able to forgive myself....its aweful to feel like this...Im so very sorry...binky free Kayj...xxx....You did so very well looking after her with such an ongoing issue....I know its hard xxxxhuge hugs xxx

I'm so scared of fly strike, Malteser is a poo bum bun and he hates me cleaning and checking his bum. I go mad if the hubby lets him play out without checking his bum first. I can't imagine how it must have looked but I'm guessing it is all you can see when you close your eyes.
Don't feel bad, its tough, you knew it was tough and you were doing something about it but re-homing isn't an easy process, it can't be done over night and a real messy bum can't be sorted over night either. *hugs*

I'm so sorry. It was very brave of you to post. As others have said, none of us are perfect, and it is clear that you cared deeply for her. xxx

I am so very sorry and agree you have been brave to come on here, but please don't let this be your last post.

Flystrike can happen so quickly (within a couple of hours), especially in the mild weather we are having. I too have experienced it but my bunny (who had cancer and they could obviously sense she was very ill) did survive it as I was lucky enough to spot it early on so I do know how you are feeling as some had hatched. I am extra cautious and check at least twice a day, even though they hate it and sometime yes I too miss the odd time as one is very feisty but your post has made me more vigilant again and I won't let a bit of feistiness get in my way of checking in future.

Sending hugs x

I am so sorry.:cry:

But please don't leave RU. You are amongst friends here and no doubt by sharing your experience of owning rabbits will be able to help others.

Please re-consider.................................xxxx

Take care. x

So sorry for your loss. I think you were a very caring rabbit owner and please try not to feel guilty because you didn't check once. I'm sure she had a wonderful life with you and were doing all you can for her.

Sweetheart, the horror of flystrike is one that is indescribable unless it has happened to you. After MANY MANY years of animal keeping I too had a case this year with one of my lambs and I was distraught. I check my sheep twice a day every day minimum and this time I had checked just before tea time and got a call only a few hours later to say I had a lamb down. I cannot thank the people who's land I use enough as they adore my sheep and spend hours watching them, they phoned as soon as she had refused to come get her treat.

I had missed the eggs and she had maggots:cry::cry:
Fortunately for me, as a shepherd I am allowed to keep some good drugs on hand so she had ABX, pain killer and ivomec within minutes. I was able to save her thanks to the quick actions of my friends calling as soon as they noticed. I was there 2 hours previously and she was acting completely normal.

She now has the most ridiculous haircut and is still tinged with the blue spray. This was over a month ago and I am still applying salve to keep the damaged skin supple.

2 hours, that's all it took and I have treated many many sheep for other people and know all the warning signs and smells yet I missed one of my own babies and it took her down in 2 hours:(

You will need time to grieve and you will need time for the sheer horror of it to lose it's cold clutch on your heart. You will always remember but the details will blur over time and you will begin to feel better.

If you want to chat, pm me
I will keep you in my thoughts.

Binky free Opal :love:

you poor thing im so sorry! the exact same thing happened to me a few years ago-i went to bed crying because of the thought that i had been to blame. i thought i would never have rabbits again! but now i have 5 :oops: its not easy to get over so i really do understand ! all i can say is that at least you know where you went wrong and you would never make that mistake again. im now obsessed with checking bums but i know that even then threre is always a risk from those awful little things!! again im so sorry but dont give up on yourself! i know the guilt is horrendous but you will get past it!

all the best,

Lucy

I'm so very sorry to hear about Opal. You have my deepest sympathies as we nearly lost Rupert to the same thing yesterday.

Huge, huge hugs to you. xx

I'm so sorry kayjay, it's not your fault.

I promise that with time it will get easier x

Binky free opal xx

I'm so very sorry for your loss. This is how my boyfriend lost his childhood bun and he found her :( I can only imagine how horrific flystrike is.

You're so brave for posting this. I know you don't want to hear it but I'm saying it anyway - it wasn't your fault!

Back