• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ohhhhh nooooo!!!

Summer&Skye

Mama Doe
Just nipped to pets at home on way home as most convenient place to get some dental chews for my dogs as iv run out... Anyways mistake mistake mistake.... Orrrrr fate?! Been toying with getting a hamster for ages but told myself (as if I'm my mum!) no!! But the most beautiful tri-coloured hamster just caught my eye, black, white and fawn/cream just like my guinea pig. Never seen a hamster like that before AND it was a girl and I said (again to myself :lol:) if I was getting one it'd have to be a girl ;) Argh, I almost cried walking away :( Do I go back tomorro...?? If it's still there by tomorro evening it's fate, right???!!! :oops:

Go get her..you know you want to....Just think first, can you afford her cage and stuff she needs and lifes little neccessities like vets and food...??

Don't want to be a downer but I've had a couple of female hamsters from P@H and their health has been awful :(

:( May just have been the breeder/s that store used? Suppose u never know getting from pet shops :?

I've had two girls from there, 17 months apart and both died from a pyometra. One was only 6 months old. My cousin has had about 6 or 7 males from a few different P@H stores over the past 9 years and none of them have lived for more than 8 months or so :(

:( May just have been the breeder/s that store used? Suppose u never know getting from pet shops :?

My female from p@h died young from a tumor :( I have 2 more we adopted and I'm not expecting them to live longer than Hammy did tbh :( The were impulse adoptions but we had the right and big enough set ups/wheels for them so we had them. We're going to go to our RSPCA next time as they always seem to have hams in.

:( That's so sad. Kind of makes me want her more tho cos if she's destined for such a short life, at least I can make sure it's a happy one :roll: One of the older children in the last family I worked for had one but she ended up giving it back to adoption section, not sure how long she had him, will c if she remembers!

Is she a syrian? Have you had them before? Zooplus sell good size cages and wheels for Syrians :) the igor, alexander are nice sizes :thumb: zz2 too :) the minimum length is 75cm I think but not sure. And 12 inch silent spinners are on eBay for about £16 :) wodent wheels are cheaper though :D

We had Phoebe because she was "aggressive" and wasn't sold so went in the adoption bit, she's about 6 months old :( we don't mind that they might not live as long tbh, it's heart breaking but when we went to pick her up the woman said "just so you know she is in there because she is aggressive and bites, that's why no one bought her" :roll: she is territorial but getting better day by day :thumb:

Is she a syrian? Have you had them before? Zooplus sell good size cages and wheels for Syrians :) the igor, alexander are nice sizes :thumb: zz2 too :) the minimum length is 75cm I think but not sure. And 12 inch silent spinners are on eBay for about £16 :) wodent wheels are cheaper though :D

We had Phoebe because she was "aggressive" and wasn't sold so went in the adoption bit, she's about 6 months old :( we don't mind that they might not live as long tbh, it's heart breaking but when we went to pick her up the woman said "just so you know she is in there because she is aggressive and bites, that's why no one bought her" :roll: she is territorial but getting better day by day :thumb:

I would prob make a cage for myself :) I had a lovely cage that I purposefully sold so I wouldn't be tempted to get a hamster :lol: It was a really good price and huge but all metal so may have been a bit noisy I suppose anyway. Also just sold a large fish tank for a pittance for the same reason! I knew if I kept it I'd end up with a hamster :lol: Iv already got my thinking cap on! Another thing that's currently rotting away in the garden is an ikea rast chest of drawers that I thought could be made into an amazing hamster cage, they're only £15 I think anyway! Iv got a little ramekin that I bought in m&m Xmas sale 'because it would make a cute hamster bowl'! Honestly I'm unstoppable! Oh gosh can u sense where this is heading... Iv even thought of a name for her :oops: I also have a name obsession :lol:

Edited cos realised not answered ur main questions!! Yes she's a Syrian and iv had a few when I was younger but obviously more info available now, as with rabbits, I'll do my research :thumb:

Last edited:
I think you should get her as long as you can afford it :)

And to add onto the health point, I got a chinese dwarf hamster from P@H, she about 3 years old now and still going very strong! She has a wonderful temperment.

I also have a bunny from P@H and he has had no health issues.

Fingers crossed she is still there :)

I think you should get her as long as you can afford it :)

And to add onto the health point, I got a chinese dwarf hamster from P@H, she about 3 years old now and still going very strong! She has a wonderful temperment.

I also have a bunny from P@H and he has had no health issues.

Fingers crossed she is still there :)

Aw lovely :D I must admit tho I have seen a couple in the past in adoption section there that said they've had to be spayed to save their lives :( Now I know why! I also had a 2nd guinea pig from there a while back that i bonded with mine and he died after a few months, I do think he was poorly from the start without me realising :( Hopefully this hammy be an exception tho! Oh listen to me like I'm buying her! U were supposed to talk me out of it ;)

If you go onto hamster central and have a look on the "let's see your cages" in the housing bit there are loads made from storage boxes and things so it might give you some inspiration :D

Are you going to go tomorrow and hopefully get her? :D

Eeeeek I think I may have to!! I have that feeling of pulling on my heart strings!! I was same with Heidi, I kept telling myself no but after keep seeing her after weeks of not going in there. Somehow I don't think this hammy will be there long! I don't want to get excited cos she may have gone by time I get there but then I suppose it's not meant to be :?

.... pictures?

Aw sorry no didn't get her :cry: decided it would be silly to add to my pet collection when I'm already so busy with the rabbits and dogs and guinea pig (maybe I'm finally growing up :lol:) I went in PAH on sat as a neighbours child kindly broke my dog tennis ball launcher (and the dog was not happy!) and the hamster had gone, I knew she wouldn't be there long, just hope she's gone to a worthy home :D Wish I'd taken a pic of her in the shop but maybe that would have made it worse, or made me go and get her!! But nope I know it's the right decision and I'm not going to have a hamster definitely it's decided!! If I can resist that beauty I can resist them all :lol:

Back