• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help rabbits off food? Stress Related?!

Chesterx123

Young Bun
Elvis & Indie live in a hutch in the garden. They usually have a really good appetite for hay and get really excited for their pellets on a morning and night. (they have never so much as left one before - even after neuters and spays!)

Yesterday i let Oscar my house rabbit into the garden to free range for the first time with me and my partner watching him the whole time. He only went next to their hutch once and rubbed his scent against the front but was quickly moved away by me!

Today i topped the hay up for Elvis & Indie and fed them their pellets along with some veg. I have returned from work today and nothing seems to have been touched. Not even the hay has gone down. I have examined them and they seem fine in themselves. All i can think of is stress from the smell of another rabbit. This now means i'm too scared to let Oscar out in the garden again today and this isn't really fair on him either.

Any advice would be great!

I'd wait till tomorrow and see if it was just a one-off. A few of my rabbits have been off their food for a day but back to normal the next day. Otherwise it could be something to do with Elvis. Are your 2 both boys?

If your bunnies haven't eaten it's important to take them to the vets as rabbits not eating is very serious. Even if it is stress related they may be having a very real gut slow down which means they need veterinary treatment.

I've managed to get them to eat a couple of pellets of food and left lots of treats in the cage to tempt them. Will check on them in the morning and if there still isn't anything gone I'll rush them to the vets.

Elvis and Oscar are both neutered males. Although Oscar has never been near another rabbit before and elvis only ever with Indie so maybe it's a territory thing.
Just not sure how I'd ever be able to let Oscar in the garden again if it will upset the other two. He is a giant and even the largest of runs I don't feel let him spread his legs properly!

Have they both poo'd since? If not then I'd get them to a vet, as it's important that they keep their systems moving. Hope they are well!

Back