• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone have a Rex?

Summer&Skye

Mama Doe
Hi people :wave: I may be getting a male Rex from my friend that I will try to bond with my Heidi. My friend got him from someone else for her children, with a guinea pig :roll: that sadly died. However I knew that he was difficult to handle (not neutered, space too small...) so as i am wanting a boyfriend for Heidi I cheekily asked her if she would consider letting me take him if they were struggling to handle him etc. as it has been on my mind since she got him and I know he'd appreciate more space and some bunny company. Obviously I would get him neutered too. Surprisingly she is happy with the idea but the children love him so she's talking to them. I suggested a couple of guineas will make much better pets for her girls (and the hutch they have is much better suited to guineas than rabbits) so fingers crossed, then fingers crossed him and Heidi fall in love :lol:
Anyways, I just wondered if anyone has/has experience of Rex rabbits? Iv done a bit of googling but other than them being prone to hock sores, didn't really find much info. I suppose my main concern is that he seemed a very energetic bunny when I met him and I am a little worried that he may be too much for Heidi and whether a younger bunny might be better suited to her (not sure how old the Rex is)? On the other hand, iv read that they r very 'mothering' and obviously he is prob just desperate for some space to run around! Also with the hock sores, would he not be able to live in a hutch with the floors bare? Would he need bedding everywhere? Was enjoying my new hutches NOT having bedding all over the place!! :lol: Anyway, any advice and ur experiences would be appreciated :wave:

you're rescuing a bun from a unsuitable environment plus what's to say the younger bun you get instead won't be just as hyper active as the rex? Or worse? He might even settle down with more space and being neutered. Not sure about the hocks to be honest. I think he will need something soft to walk on, but it might depend on different rabbits and the kids could visit him.

I have a Rex, but only the one so I can only tell you about her. She's always been as fit as a fiddle, not one health problem in the 4 years I've had her, no sore hocks at all and she's lived on concrete and decking. She is sweet natured but very shy and nervous but so beautiful, I love Rexes :love: also she has also been quite active definitely not a lazy bun and wouldn't be happy without lots of space

This is Beatrice

1b2f92b428e1257174949864059b90fb.jpg

I have 2 Mini Rex brothers (neutered)

Rudolph is quite calm and docile and is happy to be stroked where as Raymond is more highly strung and doesn't like to be handled.
They have the best coats and really nice faces!

Mine have lino in their hutch and they are fine and don't have sore hocks!

Buffy gets sore hocks but I'm pretty sure this was down to being kept in very dirty conditions in her previous life. She also used to try and dig through the bottom of the hutch when having phantom pregnancies because she was unneutered. Even when her hocks are fine the fur doesn't grow back meaning she has no protection on them. I think if this rex has hocks are are currently ok, so long as you keep a close eye on them and increase bedding if they start to look sore any major issues are preventable. If he's already had sore hocks and has bald patches than management is more difficult and you probably might have to put down more bedding.

I was told only a think layer of shavings or blankets would work however Buffy has been fine on a thick layer of hay when they flare up.

ETA PS the only major temperament difference I've noticed between her and the others is that she seems much more nervous of everything.

you're rescuing a bun from a unsuitable environment plus what's to say the younger bun you get instead won't be just as hyper active as the rex? Or worse? He might even settle down with more space and being neutered. Not sure about the hocks to be honest. I think he will need something soft to walk on, but it might depend on different rabbits and the kids could visit him.

I know I would love to give him a better chance. Hopefully neutering would help, it def helped Heidi. Yeah I told her obviously the children can visit anytime!

Thank you all for ur replies :wave: Yeah I read about them being nervous and not like being handled and my friend has told me he's like that but loves to be stroked. I suppose I'm just worried that if he's jumpy and nervous it may cause Heidi to react and make bonding difficult? Iv always loved Rexes ever since I stroked one at a petting farm! He's a beautiful rabbit and would love to have him :D I'm not sure what condition he is in, not seen him since she 1st got him so but worried aswell that if he's not been living in the best conditions, the vet may find some problems. She isn't a bad owner, she loves animals and they obviously love him, just still have old school ideas :roll:

Back