• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Complete change in behaviour - Normal ???

Pie Eyed

Young Bun
Hi guys.

Lola has been living with us for about 7 weeks now.

Basically, she lived inside for 3 weeks, before we had to put her in boarding due to a holiday.

After she got back from boarding, she was a little quiet for a couple of days, but went back to normal very quickly. She was just a little resistant to being picked up (would run away for a couple of minutes, then accept it quite happily), had started to jump up on the couch for a cuddle and would happily run around us and play "the silly game" (we put a hand on her side/back leg and she would run around in circles, like a puppy, for minutes on end).

Anyway, we moved her out to her new outdoor hutch last weekend. Since then, she spent the first couple of days behaving normally (still playing, etc).

However yesterday, she completely flipped her attitude.
She won't come over to us. If she's in the run, she runs into the hutch. If she's in the hutch, she runs out to the run.
She won't do any more than sniff us and then runs away as if scared.

I managed to "corner" her in the hutch today and brought her inside for a while, to see if that would help, but she spent bout an hour running away from me, looking quite scared, hiding under furniture, etc..

Eventually, I had to corner her again and return her to the hutch/run, as I needed to get some work done.
When I did, she immediately ran and hid in the runaround tunnel that joins the hutch to the run and stayed there for a good 15-20 minutes.

TBH - I'm a little worried. Our bunny has gone from a loving little family pet to an almost ferally scared critter.

Could it be hormones? She's just 15 weeks and I believe that they can kick in around now.
I have an appointment at the vet to discuss the timing of spaying and we already have a husbun lined up to try, once she has the operation.

My question is simply this - What can I do in the meantime, to get our little bunny back?
My daughter is rather upset, as she thinks that Lola "hates her" - She's 9, so she takes things VERY personally.

Thanks
Craig

It could be hormones thats effecting her but usually in females its aggressive behaviour rather than being frightened it would be worth getting her spayed though anyway. I'm wondering if something has spooked her like a cat or a fox and maybe its made her turn a bit skittish and frightened. I would just try and get her trust back by talking to her, offering her treats etc.

Treats - That's something else that's odd over the past couple of days.

Normally, if you offer her basil (or almost any other herb), she will quite literally eat out of the palm of your hand.

Since yesterday, she sniffs it, then walks away and will not return until she is alone.

I tried tempting her out from under the furniture with basil today, and she just sniffed it and then completely ignored it - even when I did walk away.

It's really starting to bother me now.

It really does sound like she has had some sort of fright....I wonder if something happened at the boarding place? I think you will have to give her some time and if she doesn't return to normal in the next few weeks get her checked at the vet. The only other thing I can think is that she is not feeling well. One of my rabbits really retreats into herself when shes not well. Maybe there is something wrong healthwise and a check at the vets maybe whats needed...especially if she is turning down favourite foods.

It's a big change for a little bunny, the sounds are different, the smells are different and the things to see are different. If you've never felt wind ruffle your fur it's pretty disturbing and a swooping bird can look like a monster!

I'd try spending time sitting in the run, even if she ignores you, she'll sneak out eventually to see what you are doing and you can offer treats - even if she doesn't eat them you'll still be associated with the food. Hopefully she'll get gradually braver and be keener to come up to you and interact.

Try not to chase/corner her - that's scary for a rabbit and she'll quickly work out that if you go to her run that's what you are going to do and run in the opposite direction and you just build up the fear.

It's great you are looking into spaying/bonding, a confident companion can really help boost confidence :)

Thanks guys (gals).

Lola seems to be recovering a little of her confidence. Last night, she allowed both my daughter and I to stroke her without running away and this morning, she even came over and allowed us to feed/stroke her.

Worryingly, I did find a massive, green poop on our garden path last night.
No idea what left it there.
It happened in daylight (not there at 6pm, but there at 7:30), and it was the size of something that a fairly large dog would leave.

I find myself wondering if this could be the same something that might have frightened Lola?
What the heck leaves green poo, though?

Fortunately, it never put her off her food, and there appears to be no kind of stasis, so I'm starting to relax a little now that she seems happier.

The other thing that bothered me was the fact that it has been so cold the past couple of mornings.

Today, we could even see our own breath.

She does have a heated pad in her house, but I still worry.
I don't want her freezing her furry little butt off.
;-)

Thanks again for the reassurance.
Craig

Back