• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

It was flystrike ...

MrsGibbo

New Kit
Hi all

Sorry for the urgent request.

I'm overseas and ex has just messaged to say our lovely Rupert is not able to get up/stand up. He had a 'gammy' leg about 18 months ago but I can't see the wood for the trees at the moment to remember what treatment he had back then. He had some meds and seemed to get better over time.

He's been eating and drinking and is taking treats this morning, but ex found him sat in his own wee this morning as he couldn't get up. I've told him to wipe his bits with a damp cloth and towel dry as best he can, then make up a fresh litter tray for him and maybe put a sausage towel round the inner edge to stop he moving about so much.

Anyway, the point of my post ... any clue to treatments? Could it be age related arthritis (he's about 7 or 8 years of age - a plump dwarf lop)? Is so best meds?

What else can ex do to make Rupert comfortable? Things to ask vet to do/check etc? Ex is in bits and I feel completely useless to be able to help him and Rupert. :cry:

Last edited:
He may need xrays, bloods, it could be all manner of things, it may be nothing like the previous issue, but with similar symptomatic signs.

I'd certainly want him rushed to a vet as an emergency, if it was me.

Thank you Graham for taking the time to reply. Much appreciated.

I know its so hard to tell without a vet check up. He's off to the vets as soon as its open.

Thank you Graham for taking the time to reply. Much appreciated.

I know its so hard to tell without a vet check up. He's off to the vets as soon as its open.

Thats great :)

Sending loads of vibes the vet can work out what is wrong :)

Hi all

Sorry for the urgent request.

I'm overseas and ex has just messaged to say our lovely Rupert is not able to get up/stand up. He had a 'gammy' leg about 18 months ago but I can't see the wood for the trees at the moment to remember what treatment he had back then. He had some meds and seemed to get better over time.

He's been eating and drinking and is taking treats this morning, but ex found him sat in his own wee this morning as he couldn't get up. I've told him to wipe his bits with a damp cloth and towel dry as best he can, then make up a fresh litter tray for him and maybe put a sausage towel round the inner edge to stop he moving about so much.

Anyway, the point of my post ... any clue to treatments? Could it be age related arthritis (he's about 7 or 8 years of age - a plump dwarf lop)? Is so best meds?

What else can ex do to make Rupert comfortable? Things to ask vet to do/check etc? Ex is in bits and I feel completely useless to be able to help him and Rupert. :cry:

I would advise your OH to get Rupert to a Vet as there are numerous possible causes for the problem. But a full examination is the only way to ascertain what is going on.

It sounds as though your OH has done everything possible so far. Please let us know how Rupert gets on at the Vets xx

Again, thank you Jane for posting.

Yes, of course, will post back with what happens.

Ex noticed when he got up an hour or so ago and was always going to head to the vets for opening time :thumb:.

If (big if), it's age related athritis, is ongoing meds the only/best way to treat it? If so, would it be metacam?

Poor ex, I'm doing all the staying strong talk for him. I'm comforted (if thats the right word?!), that Rupert's had similar symptoms before and managed to recover over time. He's still eating/drinking/pooing/weeing too, thank godness.

Fingers crossed. xx

If it is Arthritis related then yes, Metacam works well for that. I have an arthritic bunny on long term Metacam.

Fingers crossed whatever it is gets sorted / treated :)

Thank you Kermit, that's reassuring to know.

No news yet Babsie, but vets only open 9am (or maybe 8.30am) and they operate a sit and wait your turn system.

Ruperts wifey, MrsR, lived until she was just over 10 years old so fingers crossed Rupert still has some more years in him yet. Positive thinking :):thumb:

Definitely go to the vet!
I had 2 bunnies who had a very rare condition. It started with Cow. One morning she just couldn't walk anymore. Just drag herself around. Took her to the vet and he was completely baffled as it turned out that her knee caps where on the inside of her legs!! This condition is very common with cats and dogs as the muscle keeping it in place just stretches. He'd been a vet for 20 years but never came across anything like this. We were given 3 options. 1. put her down. That was no option for me as she was perfectly healthy apart from her gammy legs. 2. Leave her like this. Again, not an option! A bunny should hop, not drag herself around. 3. Have him do a surgery he'd never performed on a bunny before. He gave her a 60/40 chance and I went for it. It cost a fortune (no rabbit insurance back then) but she made it. he fixed her right up and she ended up hopping around like nothing ever happened and got to live many years. Her sister ended up with the same but only one knee.

I hope your bun will be ok. Keep us posted.

Update ...

Just received a message from the ex saying 'Vets keeping him in, they think it's his brain. Vet will try all he can today'.

Unfortunately, the vet on duty this morning is not one of my favourites :-( I've asked ex if bloods are being taken and if vet mentiond EC or head tilt as both of these can be given meds for. No reply yet.

Ex added that Rupert's head has been a bit wonky to the right hand side when eating since he had an abcess removed from the back of his mouth a few months ago. Other than that, he said his head has been normal.

EC/head tilt bunnies shouldn't be written off should they? I know recovery isn't always 100% and they can remain wonky for quite some time. What kind of meds are recommended for EC or head tilt. I just want ex to be able to go back a bit more informed later so he can put these two things to the vets if they try and say 'it's Ruperts time' :(

Nooo, deffo don't write off an EC / Head Tilt bun, but do be prepared for a potential hard slog through the illness :(

I had Kermit, he got EC and severe head tilt. With lots of advice from people on here, meds and care from me he came through it but it was hard work, but then my wee lad was worth it. He never regained a straight head but he really coped well with it. Generally with EC buns need panacur, antibiotics and Metacam (or similar). Treatment is usually for 4 - 6 weeks. Some bunnies just get minor cases and get back to their normal self quick smart....fingers crossed that's what happens for you.

Let us know when you know what the vet said. I would actually phone the vet myself and see what the script was in case they tell your OH that he should be PTS.

Thanks again Kermit, your reply is really appreciated.

Ex is determined that PTS is the last resort and something he absolutely does not want. He wants everything to be tried for our little lad. His main worry is that Rupert can't get up at the minute so could potentially be laid in his wee and he's out at work from 7am-7pm. I've suggested he may want to rope neighbours 18 year old daughter in for a bit of lunchtime TLC during the week. Rupert has vetbed so I'll make sure ex is using that.

He's going to let me know what the vet says later today, but I've told him to make sure bloods are/have been taken and ask that EC/head tilt have been considered.

Everything is crossed for our little man Rupert!

Don't right him off just yet my Malteser (see his thread on here) had EC, I was going to PTS after 12 hours but 48hours after that he had finally perked up and is now about 90% normal.

I thought EC straight away and was going to say to get to a vet ASAP! Ask your vet if there will be anyone with him over night as the vet I saw at first said there was no staff over night and I had to set an alarm to provide food and water every 2 hours. PM me if you need any help or advice as I don't come on here very often and wouldn't want to miss your questions =)

Good luck!

My Kermit couldn't even stand up when he was first ill, so he was laying in his pee. I managed to get off work at the initial stages but once he could get about a tiny bit I had to just leave him in his cage with loads of towels rolled up to prevent him rolling and to soak the pee while I went to work. Mt Grandpa nipped in at lunchtime to check he was ok. Not ideal but the only other option was unthinkable!

I know you haven't had an answer yet,
But a with everyone else regarding EC

If it wasn't for the people on here Blue may not have been here today,

However, he is, although he has a slight tilt, which is improving still a year later with lots of outside time, he is one of our happiest and playful buns,
He isn't little either, but manages to hooly round more than the younger/smaller ones so definitely shouldn't be written off.

Hang in there, and hope there is good news soon.

Update ...

Thank you again to everyone for your help and comments yesterday. It was nothing to do with EC, head tilt or arthritis.

I heard back from my ex late last night. HE SAID they suspect an infection of his bum area so cleaned and shaved, and that he had been given some gel to put on it, but also that they don't think his insides (kidneys) are working as they should. Obviously my first question to him re. bum area was Flystike?

He said that they hadn't found any maggots and that flystrike was possibly a factor and that he knows what to check for now as he'd had a really good chat with the nurse. Rupert was given antibiotics, painkiller, something to keep his bowels working and an injection to kill any possible maggots. I explained in great detail how flystrike occurs, how quickly it can kill and that that was why I always checked there bums on a regular basis when I was still in the UK.

Anyhow, I didn't push the issue too much but have since called the vets this morning. They said it WAS flystike and there were maggots :cry:. I burst into tears, my poor little boy. He was on a drip throughout the day and was indeed given painkiller, antibiotics and a maggot killer injection.

I can only think that my ex was upset and mortified himself at Rupert getting flystike and must have been upsetting to see Rupert in a state. I am thankful Rupert is still with us and pray to God that he's gets all the TLC needed to make a full recovery and start to feel much better soon. Unfortunately, it seems the ex learnt the hard way but as he said, he now knows what to look for.

As someone else has posted, PLEASE PLEASE be vigilant. If this and the other post saves just one bunny then that has to be a good thing, right?

Back