• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please insure your bun!

sierra*323

Mama Doe
I am so relieved that I got Tango insured! He is currently at the vets and I am safe in the knowledge that I don't have to worry about the money, I can just make whatever decisions are best for him. Insurance has lightened the load in a really worrying time :(

Fingers crossed he has improved during the night and can come home later today... :? :( :love:

I wish I could :( Poppy and Leo can't because all of their problems, nothing would be covered :( that's why I save up just in case.

I am so relieved that I got Tango insured! He is currently at the vets and I am safe in the knowledge that I don't have to worry about the money, I can just make whatever decisions are best for him. Insurance has lightened the load in a really worrying time :(

Fingers crossed he has improved during the night and can come home later today... :? :( :love:

hope he will be home soon :wave:

My buns are insured. I even got preventative insurance which includes their jabs, checks and discount on spay and neutering etc. All together it's £20 a month but so worth it.

It's really good that insurance was worthwhile for you.
It's not the case for everyone though, including myself.

Hope your bunnies are back with you soon x

Ahh, right - so you have to use a companion care vets with the other policy... Our local vets that are companion care are useless so I wouldn't be able to take advantage of that. Never mind.

Oh what a shame. My companion care has been really good so far. You can still use their preventative one. I am sure they can do a proper check (I hope!).

Ahh, right - so you have to use a companion care vets with the other policy... Our local vets that are companion care are useless so I wouldn't be able to take advantage of that. Never mind.

I work for Companion Care :wave: Hopefully not the one you go to though :lol:!!!

Most vets do a monthly direct debit scheme now that is similar to our so it might be worth check out if your local vets do one :D I don't know about other parts of the country but around here most vets have started similar schemes.

Doughnut was ill with gas/statis in February and had injections, now I've changed her diet. She isn't insured but I'm going to insure her. I thought it was better that I wait until next Feb as then I don't need to put it down and she will be covered if she gets it again, is that correct?

She's only over a year and very healthy at the moment!

agree so much with the OP charlies in on friday for investigation-xrays,bloods, the lot!:roll:

Doughnut was ill with gas/statis in February and had injections, now I've changed her diet. She isn't insured but I'm going to insure her. I thought it was better that I wait until next Feb as then I don't need to put it down and she will be covered if she gets it again, is that correct?
She's only over a year and very healthy at the moment!

If you intend to insure her I'd get it done as soon as possible. Now she's had an eposide of stasis I think it's very unlikely that you've get any insurance company to cover for anything related :( I had been told in the past that Pet Plan would consider removing an exclusion for Rudy for 'gastro-intestinal' because of stasis episodes but when I rang a year later asking specifics they pretty much said that exclusions wouldn't be removed. He's also excluded for dental, jaw or facial abscesses because he had one dental (molar spurs) at the age of one, 4 years ago!

Anybody who thinks it's not worth insuring because rabbits have already been treated for something, I'd reconsider - I made this decision with Artie as he was excluded for stasis. He went on to have surgery for bladder sludge (£336) and needs ongoing treatment for this condition costing about £350 a year). Even after all this I decided to insure him (cheapest insurance I could get (P@H annual) and he got kidney stones - the surgery costing a total of £1,400..... it cost about £65 for the insurance and they paid me £1,000. I'm so glad I had that insurance.

Anybody who thinks it's not worth insuring because rabbits have already been treated for something, I'd reconsider - I made this decision with Artie as he was excluded for stasis. He went on to have surgery for bladder sludge (£336) and needs ongoing treatment for this condition costing about £350 a year). Even after all this I decided to insure him (cheapest insurance I could get (P@H annual) and he got kidney stones - the surgery costing a total of £1,400..... it cost about £65 for the insurance and they paid me £1,000. I'm so glad I had that insurance.

Wow. Tango's bill is currently £400 and something, it's been so worth it for us. Hopefully he will be home tomorrow... :? :love:

Wow. Tango's bill is currently £400 and something, it's been so worth it for us. Hopefully he will be home tomorrow... :? :love:

Yep, Artie cost nothing in vet fees but vaccinations and maybe a couple of stasis episodes in the first 4 years, so you can't assume because they've been healthy for so long that it will always be the case. He has EC which is probably the cause of his urinary tract problems.

Vibes for Tango returnimg home tomorrow.

I hope your bun gets well, soon! x
I got Lola insured right away. It would be the worst thing if she needed some medical attention and I couldn't afford it. I would be heartbroken!

It's really good that insurance was worthwhile for you.
It's not the case for everyone though, including myself.

Hope your bunnies are back with you soon x

We've the same problem. Both our rabbits are insured with pets at home which was the only place willing to insure rabbits over 5 years old but with all the exemptions listed in the small print I can't say that I think it'll ever be much use.

Back