• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Noisy, any recommendations?

Bella&Travis

Young Bun
I have my 2 rabbits in my bedroom at night as only practical place in my house to put them & easy to shut dogs out of when I go to work.

Only problem is, they are so noisy from about 5am every morning, they bite the hutch (or bars) if in indoor cage, even though they get free run of bedroom & bathroom when I'm in the house so get plenty of exercise. They have lots of toys so not like theyre bored. Seriously considering moving them outside (patio just below my bedroom window) so they can be in a run during the day & sleep in shed at night...the hay is also making me wake up with the feeling like I'm choked with the cold as I get hay fever & asthma.

I really didn't want to move them outside as don't think they'll get as much attention ie I stop to pet them every time I pass them

Thoughts?

How big an area do they have when they are shut in?

Probably FAR too small (indoor cage 3ft x 2ft) & hutch is 4ft....do you think that's why they are frustrated when shut in overnight?

I could quite easily leave them the run of bathroom overnight with dog gate over front to keep them safe? Just like the thought of them being secure at night but I suppose there is nothing they can do in bathroom to hurt themselves as slate floor & tiled walls to floor? Would that be kinder?

Probably FAR too small (indoor cage 3ft x 2ft) & hutch is 4ft....do you think that's why they are frustrated when shut in overnight?

I could quite easily leave them the run of bathroom overnight with dog gate over front to keep them safe? Just like the thought of them being secure at night but I suppose there is nothing they can do in bathroom to hurt themselves as slate floor & tiled walls to floor? Would that be kinder?

Yes, I'm afraid that both cage and hutch are much too small an area to confine them. Hutch recommendation is at least 6 x 2 x 2ft with a large run

I'm sure that is what is causing their frustration.

You could perhaps extend their accommodation by using puppy pen panels to form an indoor run attached to the cage? You'll find pictures and recommendations for indoor and outdoor housing in the housing section.

Yes, you could move their crate (door open) into the bathroom.

Back