• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hal- He Just Choked :-( -Updated 6th September

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Had to do Heimlich Maneuver, it was awful

How he didn't die I dont know, his eyes were bulging out of his head.

He's had a shot of steroid, antibiotics and diuretic. Then we sat by an open window to get as much fresh air into him as possible.

He is stable now, colour better but lungs sound dreadful. He has been on treatment for chronic pneumonia for several months but in recent weeks he has been doing so well and was on minimal medication. Now this happens :cry: Will be in touch with C again in the morning

God, I cant stop shaking.

Last edited:
Ogod!
Hope he'll be ok.
Could you describe how to do a heimlech on a bunny?
I can't imagine it :oops:
I'm sending vibes to you for tomorrow!!!! xxxx

That must have been terrifying, thank God you managed to help him. Sending huge vibes for Hal and I hope you both mange to calm down a bit xxx

Blimey :shock: Hal is one VERY lucky boy!!! Good job you didn't hear what Kevin Eatwell said about the chances for choking rabbits at the RWAF Conf at the weekend!!!! Hope you both manage to calm down and all is ok!

Last edited:
Blimey :shock: Hal is one VERY lucky boy!!! Good job you didn't hear what Kevin Eatwell said about the chances for choking rabbits at the RWAF Conf at the weekend!!!! Hope you both manage to calm down and all is ok!

i didnt hear that . . can you pm me with it? i have had to suck material out of blocked nose/mouth in the past

jane - you are having a dreadful time right now . . hope you can get some sleep tonight

vibes for hal. and he's lucky to have you, jane - who else would have been able to deal with that situation?

What s horrible thing to happen, thank goodness you were there and able to help. I just hope his lungs haven't been too badly affected.

Really traumatic for both of you. H e was lucky you were there to help. Sending recovery vibes....

Thank you everyone

Hal is doing better now. Obviously his chronic lung problems mean that he is by no means out of the woods. But he is stable, eating and pooing OK and as comfortable as possible.

This was him about an hour after the terrifying incident last night

Rabbits009-Optimized-1.jpg

Rabbits010-Optimized-1.jpg

And this was him about half an hour ago

Rabbits013-Optimized-1.jpg

I think he feels better than I do now. It was the most awful thing to see. I still cant believe he has survived. So far at least.

Good grief!! Glad you knew what to do and it worked. Hope he continues to feel better this morning x

Flippin heck Jane, how scary. I would not have known what to do. He is very lucky you were around and saw it happen and could deal with it.

did he choke on something he ate or did he get a sort of reflux? I only ask because our elderly bun Sweet Pea started to get a sort of reflux in his last year as his muscles that hold the material down in the gut became flacid and did not work so well. It always happened at night - and we 'cured' it by giving him a small dose of metaclop every night to keep everything going the right way . .

did he choke on something he ate or did he get a sort of reflux? I only ask because our elderly bun Sweet Pea started to get a sort of reflux in his last year as his muscles that hold the material down in the gut became flacid and did not work so well. It always happened at night - and we 'cured' it by giving him a small dose of metaclop every night to keep everything going the right way . .

He was eating, it was definitely food as it all flew out of his mouth as I held him upside down :cry:

Back