• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Question about a run/tunnel...

courtneydayle

Alpha Buck
I have an old circular bird cage that I don't use anymore. If I covered it in fabric would that work for a tunnel for my rabbits to run through/hide in?

It's exactly like this one.
KGrHqNqUElrD50s0BQFzhu8YQ60_57.jpg

Last edited:
You'd have to cover it inside and out, with thick material so the buns' feet/toes dont fall through the gaps between the bars. Probably cheaper just to buy one, I got my wipe-able cat tunnel for the buns for about £3.

You'd have to cover it inside and out, with thick material so the buns' feet/toes dont fall through the gaps between the bars. Probably cheaper just to buy one, I got my wipe-able cat tunnel for the buns for about £3.

I'm in America, so I don't know how much that would be for here... I'll look at the pet stores I guess. Just wanted to put this cage to good use.

Maybe u could use the cage to grow something for the rabbits? Something that will grow through the bars then they can work at getting it out!
Or... Part bury it in soil to make a tunnel so the soil will protect their feet from the wire?

Last edited:
Maybe u could use the cage to grow something for the rabbits? Something that will grow through the bars then they can work at getting it out!
Or... Part bury it in soil to make a tunnel so the soil will protect their feet from the wire?

These are indoor rabbits, so I can't really bury it my carpet! lol. The growing thing sounds interesting though. Any suggestions?

I think it would make a great hay rack....may need to put a brick in the bottom though to stop them pushing it over. Or like the other post you could grow herbs in it and they could grow through so the rabbits dont totally trash the herbs.

I think it would make a great hay rack....may need to put a brick in the bottom though to stop them pushing it over. Or like the other post you could grow herbs in it and they could grow through so the rabbits dont totally trash the herbs.

How would I keep the dirt in? Would it be too big for a hay rack for two mini rexes?

How would I keep the dirt in? Would it be too big for a hay rack for two mini rexes?

You'd line the bottom or put a big pot in the bottom.

Depends how good hay eaters they are, but if its the size of the one in the photo then I doubt you'd fill it up much, as obviously you'd want to give fresh every 12 hours or so.

You'd line the bottom or put a big pot in the bottom.

Depends how good hay eaters they are, but if its the size of the one in the photo then I doubt you'd fill it up much, as obviously you'd want to give fresh every 12 hours or so.

Oh so stand it up and put the pot in the bottom? For some reason I was thinking people were meaning putting it on the side.

I don't know how well they eat hay, I haven't gotten them yet. I just want to get everything ready. One of them I was going to get died the other night, but I'll get the other one at the end of this month.

You're not getting them from the same breeder are you? If a breeder has lost a bun that they have advertised for sale/reservation (i.e a few weeks old, as a breeder wont be able to tell for a few weeks which ones are the best of the litter, which will be the ones they are keeping) then I would be asking a lot of questions and would reconsider buying rabbits from that breeder. It is unusual for young buns to just die, and I'd be wanting to know exactly why, and whether that is a reflection on the breeder's practices/care, or a reflection on the weakness of their stock.

Back