• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Giving bonding indoors a try......but before I do?

keri

Young Bun
Hi All

In the next few days I am going to be bonding my two does indoors (I did start a few weeks back in a neutral playhouse but work got in the way unfortunately so I had to put it on hold for a bit). My Husband has agreed that rather than me sitting out all hours in the playhouse with them it would be easier to do an intensive bond in doors.

I am going to do it in a 6 panel run in the dining room - neither have ever been indoors so totally neutral and before I do I will clean all the panels of the run with white vinegar although they haven't really been in this particular run but it has been in the garden whilst they have been out.

My question is this, there will be times when I have to leave them unattended i.e. to take and collect kids from school and other stuff. During these times is it ok to use one of the panels to create a divide between the two of them to prevent any scuffles whilst I am out or will this effect the bonding process? Obviously they will still be in very close proximity to each other and can see, smell and touch each other through the panel.

I hope this is going to be ok to do this, otherwise I just can't see them ever being bonded due to family life! I am hopeful that they will bond together as they spend alot of time lying next to each other in their adjoining runs and also putting their heads down face to face presumably hoping the other will groom it. When I attempted bonding a few weeks ago in the playhouse, it was going well, they did lie next to each other and they also ate together so fingers crossed!

What do you seasoned rabbit bonders do when you have to pop out for a bit during the bonding process?

It's not ideal, but I guess sometimes the reality is that we have to make compromises - in which case ideally I would take them both out of the bonding pen if you can, so that neither of them get territorial over their 'half'. I guess if it's literally 15 mins or so it would probably be ok but I wouldn't like to leave them separate but within the actual pen for any length of time.

What do you seasoned rabbit bonders do when you have to pop out for a bit during the bonding process?
I don't :lol: I arrange bonds deliberately so that I don't have to go anywhere for several days - but I don't have children so that probably helps!
When I've done bonds which have required a lot of intervention in the first few hours though, I sometimes put them both in separate carriers just so I can go to the loo, as inevitably after being good as gold they kick off the second I step away from them! Or if they're a bit more settled I've also put them in the same carrier and carried them around the house with me as I've done various things which needed to take me away from them if I wasn't confident of leaving them. Again it's not ideal though as every movement unsettles them and potentially sets them back, but sometimes needs must, especially if you can't even go for a wee :lol:

Can you take them with you on the school run? Obviously it's not very practical if you need to go to the supermarket or something but if it's a case that you just need to go in a car from A to B and back again, you could pop them together in a carrier and take them with you. Sometimes this can also help to consolidate a bond as a car ride helps them to snuggle together for reassurance and comfort.

Good luck! xx

Last edited:
It's not ideal, but I guess sometimes the reality is that we have to make compromises - in which case ideally I would take them both out of the bonding pen if you can, so that neither of them get territorial over their 'half'. I guess if it's literally 15 mins or so it would probably be ok but I wouldn't like to leave them separate but within the actual pen for any length of time.

I don't :lol: I arrange bonds deliberately so that I don't have to go anywhere for several days - but I don't have children so that probably helps!
When I've done bonds which have required a lot of intervention in the first few hours though, I sometimes put them both in separate carriers just so I can go to the loo, as inevitably after being good as gold they kick off the second I step away from them! Or if they're a bit more settled I've also put them in the same carrier and carried them around the house with me as I've done various things which needed to take me away from them if I wasn't confident of leaving them. Again it's not ideal though as every movement unsettles them and potentially sets them back, but sometimes needs must, especially if you can't even go for a wee :lol:

Can you take them with you on the school run? Obviously it's not very practical if you need to go to the supermarket or something but if it's a case that you just need to go in a car from A to B and back again, you could pop them together in a carrier and take them with you. Sometimes this can also help to consolidate a bond as a car ride helps them to snuggle together for reassurance and comfort.

Good luck! xx

Its a possibility but we live quite close to the school so I usually walk, particulary as you have to go down about half an hour before the end of the school day just to get somewhere to park and this would mean having the rabbits in a hot car for quite a long time. I will ponder on whats the best thing to do, thanks for getting back to me.

Back