• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Protexin pro fibre pellets. How much??

runhardlivelong

Warren Scout
I bought some of these for Walter after his recent problems. Although he has got the all clear from the vets he is still only making small poos although plenty of them :)

I just wondered whether people use them and how much?? Got no idea!!

Walter weighs about 950g currently. He had lost about 500g so trying to build him up!

Thanks in advance for your help!

I use them, as my bun has unexplained weightloss and struggles to keep weight on. He gets a scoop a day :)

You might also want to up his pellet ration a bit to help him bulk up, if his tummy can handle it.

Not sure what his problems are, havent seen your other threads on it, what is up with him?

I use them, as my bun has unexplained weightloss and struggles to keep weight on. He gets a scoop a day :)

You might also want to up his pellet ration a bit to help him bulk up, if his tummy can handle it.

Not sure what his problems are, havent seen your other threads on it, what is up with him?

He lost about a third of his weight and had a trichobezoar (vet said it was the biggest she had ever seen!), he had a big operation, with tons of meds, had to syringe him water etc for ages. He was a slow starter on the eating but got the pass from the vet yesterday saying his tummy felt normal size. He is pretty bouncy now, begging for food! Trying not to give into him because he doesn't each much hay now and I want him to eat loads of that!

Oh dear, well with a problem like that maybe its not best to increase his pellets, as you want him to have as healthy diet as possible to prevent it reoccuring. Any idea what caused it, was it a gut slowdown that caused stuff to build up, or a blockage caused by something?

If hes not eating hay that will hinder his weight gain... what about fresh grass? Have you tried Hay for Pets, Willow Warren, the Hay Experts sample pack etc? Will he eat readigrass? Readigrass helps my boy maintain his weight, I think its a bit richer than hay.

Oh dear, well with a problem like that maybe its not best to increase his pellets, as you want him to have as healthy diet as possible to prevent it reoccuring. Any idea what caused it, was it a gut slowdown that caused stuff to build up, or a blockage caused by something?

If hes not eating hay that will hinder his weight gain... what about fresh grass? Have you tried Hay for Pets, Willow Warren, the Hay Experts sample pack etc? Will he eat readigrass? Readigrass helps my boy maintain his weight, I think its a bit richer than hay.

Thanks thats all really helpful! I find it hard to get grass as ridiculous as that sounds as I live in inner city Liverpool! I get meadow hay from Hay for Pets which did used to go down well. The vet said it may be turning behavioural :(

I may get some Excel Hay with the dandelion and Marigold as they went down well with Lola before.

Have considered readigrass before but this was before all these palava! So may get some now! And will look at those other hays! Any other advice is greatly appreciated!

She isn't caused by the bezoar, she said it wasn't made up of anything in particular. He had a small episode of stasis after I first got him from the rescue and she didn't know whether his gut never fully recovered from that, she said it had been building up over a while as his tummy was so huge!

You could also try the Oxbow Bunny basics pellets as these are hay based. They do one for younger rabbits (15/23) which is alfalfa hay based so may help to put on weight. The adult version is based on timothy hay.

I also feed mine pro-fibre, probably a scoop per day in total.

I get the meadow hay from H4P and also the timothy/rye which is stalkier and goes down well.

My underweight bun is getting two scoops a day, 1 am and 1 pm but according to the packet you can now feed them ad lib if necessary.

Back