• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Accidental bonding occured earlier!

nessar

Warren Veteran
Looked out the window as I went to wash my hands and saw something white in the garden. Did a double-take and saw it was Barney, out of his hutch. Looked closer and he was lying next to Rolo, my auntie's bunny! I panicked, yelled for my auntie and ran out and scooped him up. He wasnt very impressed, looking at me like 'but mammy, I made a friend!' but I took him away and gave him a thorough going over. My cousin then pointed out further down the garden, where there were about 10 clumps of fur! Both buns seem fine, no visible bald patches or cuts, but then when I collected the fur up it made a whole handful.

From what I can gather, after I left Barney an hour before, he finished his pellets (he gets fed in the hutch separately to his partner Annabelle) then got bored and headbutted the hutch door till it swung open, myself having forgotten to do the twiddly thing on it and just closed it, or perhaps it twiddled loose. He then jumped down (quite a height, this hutch is on top of a run!) and ran over to the grass, maybe having seen Rolo. Rolo then chased him and they had a scuffle, because it is Rolos territory, as Rolo free-ranges most days. Barney came off much worse, judging by the fact that about 8 big clumps were his fur and only 2 little ones Rolos, I'm guessing because his fur is longer (Rolo is a rex, B has plush-like think fur) and Rolo is quick, whereas Barney, although much bigger, is slow, clumsy, deaf and has poor eyesight. Then I found them lying down in the shade far up the garden, both stretched next to each other, without a care in the world!

I felt quite bad separating them to be honest! They looked so happy, and fully stretched out, ears in relaxed position, after what mustve been less than an hour, even though they are both bucks, in non-neutral territory! Meanwhile B's own partner is very independant and spends most of the day away from him and never grooms or anything. Poor boy obviously fancied making a new friend! Mind you, I guess they can still see each other through mesh, Rolo often comes and sees them in their run and he also wees next to the mesh where my buns' litter tray is, whilst stealing their hay through the bars - not sure if its territory or companionship/communal laterine :lol:

So yeah, story of my accidental bonding! eta- think I (or rather the buns) might have had a lucky escape, thank god noone was hurt!

Last edited:
Sometimes they do like to choose their own friends....:lol:
But yeah, lucky no bun was hurt.
I just dont understand how animals from the same species dont get on.......:?

There are lots of humans I don't get on with, but that might be because I am part rabbit, part care bear;)

Back