• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

lexi had her op today

couchy

Young Bun
hey all long time no speak

lexi my tort rabbit have been spreyd today and she come out of the operation about half 1ish day and i rang the vets aebout 14:45 asking about her and they said she still havent woke up yet so i had to pick her up later on...

so 18:00 came and i picked her up the vet said she ok everything went well and keep a close eye on her and bring her straight in if anything doesnt seem right, and in a couple of weeks i will be trainin to be a vetinary nurse soon because i am currently working on a farm for work expierence and they also have rabbits and they just had a male in because they want to breed them and the buck was ea my aunties which is the same age as my 2 but thats a different story.....

yea so atm lexi is in my room in her cage padded with lovely blankets and a pillow and she is not drinking, not eating nothing if i push her on her side she just stays there and i have tried her to get her out to walk around my room but a few steps and no go.

the only way she would drink if i had her water bottle and practically put it in her mouth and then she would start drinkin but then some of it is all down her front

feeding wise now i have tried everything i have pushed her food in her mouth and she spat it back out, i have given her a carrot wont touch it, i have pureefied the carrot and still wont touch it, i spoon fed her she keeps spitting it out and nothingso i am very much concerend now

marbles on the other hand was alot different when marbles her op earlier this yearby the end of the night she was wolfing a carrot down and moving about theres a quetion i need to ask about marbles to but it will be on another thread in a bit.

back to lexi, i have noticed too when i smooth her face and wipe her eyes she closes them and just keeps them closed and her whole posture isnt great she is sittin like a load position, ears on her back and head tuckd right in, like as if she is petrified of me before the op she was brilliant she always make sure she comes up for me to smooth her and doest mind me picking her up but as i go to lift her (not pic her up) lift her front paws to check her scar she wont let me do it, anybody have past expierences and could this be a sign that she havent coped well with the anathesic and possible could b near the end she is completely different to marbles lexi weight is 3.1kg :eek: when marbles had hers marbles was only 2.6kg

Sounds like the wee soul is in a bit of pain.

Did they vet say what pain relief she had? Did you get some away with you for tomorrow?

When my Herbie had anesthetic he was really wobbly for a while afterwards. What a worry for you. Fingers crossed for eating soon!

no they didnt tell me if she had pain relief and didnt give me nothing just for me to come back in 3 days but because there were no appointments i got one for her at 4 on monday its the PDSA im with mind

no they didnt tell me if she had pain relief and didnt give me nothing just for me to come back in 3 days but because there were no appointments i got one for her at 4 on monday its the PDSA im with mind

Do they have an out of hours number that you could phone and ask advice? If she doesn't eat then she needs to be seen by the vets. Do you have any recovery food, anything else to tempt her with, like Herbs maybe?

well they do but they arnt the pdsa that runs it and i would have to pay a vast amount of money just for them to come out and they arnt the nice type of vets either really piggyfied moods theyv got,

i have temped her with carrots, apples, her food a buscuit and a rabbit treats buscuit from wilkies and nothing i did notice too that she weed where she was sittin and when i picked her up it was all like white thick dischage on the material, is that normal i wont be sleeping tonight i have got to get up for work at 6 so ill phone the vets then if there is no improvemt but if she deteriates since then ill ring someone :(

I am not sure about the wee, hopefully someone with more knowledge will come along soon. I would try tempting bun to eat as much as I can.

well i have just checked up on her now and she is just poutin i caught her eating her hay :) so i give her a bowl with her food she picked the bowl up and shoved it to one side as if to say im NOT eating that! so i think she is just grumpin but she is eating her hay only little bits tho, but she is alot more alert ears up standing and having a sniff around but seems in a really bad mood.

I would ring the vets today and check on pain relief. I work at a vets and we ALWAYS give 3 days worth of metacam pain relief to go home with post op.
Imagine if you had had the same op, the hospital would never dream of giving you no pain relief afterwards.
Glad to hear she is munching this morning :)

I would ring the vets today and check on pain relief. I work at a vets and we ALWAYS give 3 days worth of metacam pain relief to go home with post op.
Imagine if you had had the same op, the hospital would never dream of giving you no pain relief afterwards.
Glad to hear she is munching this morning :)

haha yea i know what u mean i had an op last year to do with my stomach and they gave me 1 dose of morphine and when i left they didnt give bugga all, NHS.... i will ring up the vets today tho and normaly they give me a reciept to see what they have actually done but they didnt give it to me this time, the pdsa opens at 8 so ill phone them and ask if i can have a word with the nurse because i know the vets dont actually start til 9 and ill ask about marbles too.

is it hard working in the vets in a couple of weeks ill be doing trainin for 2 weeks to be vetinary nurse assistant for work expirence and because i work on a farm i can learn the medican stuff and tha for the livestock.

do you know of any books to learn off and stuff

How is she this morning?

Sounds like she has been in pain and struggling to eat. You could even try ringing the vets and see if they will leave you out some pain meds to pick up without taking her in?

Hope she is eating loads!

haha yea i know what u mean i had an op last year to do with my stomach and they gave me 1 dose of morphine and when i left they didnt give bugga all, NHS.... i will ring up the vets today tho and normaly they give me a reciept to see what they have actually done but they didnt give it to me this time, the pdsa opens at 8 so ill phone them and ask if i can have a word with the nurse because i know the vets dont actually start til 9 and ill ask about marbles too.

is it hard working in the vets in a couple of weeks ill be doing trainin for 2 weeks to be vetinary nurse assistant for work expirence and because i work on a farm i can learn the medican stuff and tha for the livestock.

do you know of any books to learn off and stuff

I love working at the vets. It is hard sometimes and not everyone is nice (I get sworn at and shouted at sometimes :roll:) and sometimes it is sad and emotional, but I love it.
With regards to books, it would be best to ask your course tutors or borrow some when you are on work experience, most of the good books cost a lot, or go to your library and check out some Vet nursing ones.

Hope you can get some more pain relief for Lexi, I know we always give the 3 days of pain relief to go home with. I guess not all vets are the same, but I would ask if you can get some if I were you, it will hopefully make her feel a lot better and more like moving and eating :)

The poor mite needs pain relief. Rabbits hide pain very well so the fact she's showing signs of it means she's in agony. I agree, ring the vets and ask for some metacam.

Alot of bunnies that have ops seem to start eating their normal food last...I tempted my rabbit after her spay with dandilions, grass and herbs...she loves parsley. Also if she really won't eat you may be best asking the vet for some sachets of recovery to syringe feed her. You will have to be careful syringe feeding her if she is in pain though you dont want her struggling and opening her wound. You really need to get some metacam though because If she is in pain which it sounds like she will not eat. Hopefully you wont have to take her to the vets just ring asnd ask for some metacam (its about £7) and make sure you know what dose to give her depending on her weight (hopefully the vet will have her weight) and some recovery sachets (they are only a couple of pounds). Remember the longer she doesn't eat the worse she will feel and if she goes into gut statis she will definately need to see the vet. Anyway good luck and I hope she perks up soon.

well some good news lexi have eaten all of her carrots and most of her hay and i opened the cage door to check on her food and she just hopped out and started nosing round my bedroom on her hind legs nosing around ears up eyes shining and everything she still aint eating her pellets but she is eating her treats :) and when i phoned the vets this mornin, they said its normal and it takes time for the rabbit to eat it could be up to a day or 2 and as for marbles because they have been seporated marbles might have the confidence back to have her own space in the hutch and the weightloss could be to do with lexi being too dominating with marbles and lexi could have been a bit too greedy by eating marbles food to, but other than that i had a good look at the hutch the ladder/path steps have worn away from them chewing on them so im going to take it to work to have extra steps put on and her nails need a little trimming, other than that her teeth are fine :) so thank god their both ok, their stools are normal no signs on lethargic in both today thank god :D

Back