• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mineral Stones?

MoBo

Alpha Buck
Hey guys, I was wondering if any of your buns eat mineral stones? I have bought a couple over the past year and they don't really touch them at all.

I was wondering if there are any benefits from a mineral stone and how do you tempt your bun to nibble at it?

:wave: What minerals are lacking from an 80% hay supplemented with quality pellets and veg/herbs diet missing, I wonder.

I've had bunnies live to 10 1/2, 12 1/2, 8 without touching these so my personal opinion is that they're another marketing ploy.

Thanks for your quick response! Mo is a fussy eater and not a big fan on his hay, so we reduced the nugget portion to get him to eat more hay which sometimes works but other times it doesn't. So now and then he gets a runny bum. Bo however will be a good girl and eats her hay with no problems!

Thanks for your quick response! Mo is a fussy eater and not a big fan on his hay, so we reduced the nugget portion to get him to eat more hay which sometimes works but other times it doesn't. So now and then he gets a runny bum. Bo however will be a good girl and eats her hay with no problems!

Most rabbits, given a choice, will fill up on pellets - rather like a child eating lots of sweets rather than a proper meal.
If you gradually reduce to an eggcupful a day, he should eat more hay. Have you tried different types of hay to encourage him to eat more?
Really don't think mineral stones are necessary.

Back