• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

my rabbits knee is dislocated help

jp7692

New Kit
My rabbit recently got GI stasis. i have been taking her to the vet several times. She seemed to have been getting better.And started eating again. The first vet told me her teeth were fine but I took her to a different vet and they said her teeth had i think she said an infection. Last night i had picked her up to feed her with a syringe that I feed her on the counter. She freaked out and jumped past my shoulder and landed on the ground. She started limping and i took her to the emergency vet that was two hours away. They said the knee cap is dislocated and they did not take xray.She started to walk on it and the vet said to watch her but that she popped the knee back in place but that it wasnt staying on its own. The only way to fix it is surgically. I cannot afford 1,000$ or more. I have been crying all last night and today. I dont know what to do and I dont want her to be in pain. She was given pain medicine again,and was already on pain medicine when she jumped.Please help

Keep up the pain meds.
Is there a possibility you could set up a pay monthly thing with your vet?? It sounds like she needs the treatment.Poor girl.Noserubs from me.xx

Can you not loan the money from someone, or a bank?

It may be worth getting a second opinion, from an exotic vet (rabbits are classed as exotics in the UK because they are complex, I assume its the same where you are).

When I asked her how much the surgery would cost she said she doesnt know. I said I dont have 1000 $ and she said it will probl;ably be more than that. I had wondered if they could fix it with a cast but I guess not because she said that wouldnt work. I can get a second opinion it is just a long drive from where I live.There is only one exotic where I live and they are closed during the weekends.

Back