• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

In or out?

Bella&Travis

Young Bun
I have my rabbits inside the house (in my bedroom) but also have an empty hutch outside.

Do you think rabbits would prefer by choice to be in or out?

The main benefit of me having them indoors, is that they get far more attention than they would if they were outside

It depends on how much space they have to run around, if they were outside but just stuck in a hutch they'd be miserable, but if they were outside with a huge running space they'd be happy bunnies! Same goes for inside :wave:

Mine were once indoor bunnies but when they went to their outhouse (brick shed attached to the kitchen) it meant more space and freedom for them. It was also easier for them to freerange in the garden when we are home with them too. They've tons more space and i dont get stressy because they are wrecking skirting boards/wallpaper/carpet etc. I think it depends on lots of factors really. And i totally agree with ripminnie.

i think it depends on the bunny really, ours live indoors but soon as we open their bedroom door flake runs to the back door to be let out, she'll stay out all night even in the dark and rain until we chase her in. whereas with Buttons we have to force him out to get a bit of exercise in which he stays out for 2mins then shoots straight back in again :roll:

I think it's healthier outside

You can't just say that with no explanation!! Why? My bunnies aren't unhealthy and they barely ever go outside now (as I have no garden now, but I have had previously). What's unhealthy about keeping a rabbit indoors???

My buns aren't fans of going outside. They'd rather just have a run around the house.

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies. If they were outside they'd be in hutch during day when I'm at work & out in run when I'm there.

Just now I have them indoors in huge indoor cages & they get free run of bedroom when I'm in the house so I can supervise....so probably more space inside.

They are generally good & sleep most of the night if they've had plenty exercise but often wake me up at 5am for playtime :roll:

Have actually heard someone else say that they are healthier outside, but not sure of the reason

Mine are indoors for various reasons. The only one with reoccuring issues is Mischa, due to my ignorance when he was younger. I find indoors you pick up on illness so much faster. Maybe there is less dust and more fresh air outside but I try to keep fresh air moving by having the windows open whenever possible. We have a lot of foxes and I have ME, having them indoors reduces the risk of predators immensely and it also means I can look after them better as I don't have to keep going outside. I can also bond with them more and spend more time with them (Mischa is currently following me everywhere!). They also get more room indoors as we don't have space outside for two shed/aviary setups. We have a large garden but the way it's laid out means there is no one area big enough.

It's personal preference and what works for you and your circumstances. There are pros and cons to both, for me personally there are more pros to them being indoors.

Mine were once indoor bunnies but when they went to their outhouse (brick shed attached to the kitchen) it meant more space and freedom for them. It was also easier for them to freerange in the garden when we are home with them too. They've tons more space and i dont get stressy because they are wrecking skirting boards/wallpaper/carpet etc. I think it depends on lots of factors really. And i totally agree with ripminnie.

This is why my two were moved outside really. They had a whole bedroom and we let them out when we could in the house but even so they get a lot more freedom outside and I don't care what bits of wall they're gnawing at or how much soil they're chucking about lol.

We see more of them in many ways because their enclosure backs on to the house so they're always out and about and poking their noses through the kitchen door looking for treats! :D

I'm really happy with my decision to move them outdoors but I wouldn't have done so if I couldn't have given them a good amount of space outside. They have a 4x4ft shed with a 9x5ft aviary and a large bunny-proofed yard to binky about in.

Mine are indoor rabbits, 2 in the living room and 2 in a rabbit room. The plan all been well is to bond them into a quad and let them have the rabbit room which will have a baby gate fitted. I will let them out of the room when I'm in however the room is massive so they have plenty space to get up to speed.

I have no suitable room outside for them, even if I did I still think I'd have indoor bunnies

My first 2 bunnies started off as indoor bunnies for 2 years. When I put them outide they loved it. Wouldn't even come in the back door.

However, when I had another outdoor bunny and there used to be foxes about he used to try and get inside all the time. Eventually he became an indoor bunny and he loved being inside. I don't think his partner cared one way or another.

I have 3 indoor bunnies and I think they are happy inside.

Louie is both, lives inside but goes outside when someone is home which is the majority of the time.

I think he prefers indoors though because, even when the door is open, he usually prefers to stay indoors.

Back