• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm helping someone with their rabbits.

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
Someone has contacted me through a friend asking for help with their rabbits. I'm going to pop over and help them clip nails and give some advice. They said the rabbit can be quite aggressive and I mentioned hutch aggression/hutch being too small and he seemed willing to change things if he needed to. I also mentioned about hay. But I thought that was enough over the phone.

What sort of things should I look for to make sure the rabbit is okay? I'll check teeth and eyes.
And what should I mention other than hay and possibly a bigger hutch?

Neutering? Especially if the bun is a female, as that will help both with the aggression and the uterine cancer risk. Rather than automaticslly go for 'bigger hutch'' I would play it by ear when you get there, see what size accommodation it is, is there a run, how much exercise does bun get, and make recommendations form there. It could be, for instance, that if money is tight, there might be a more creative way to get the rabbit more space rather than buying a completely new hutch - are there outbuildings that could be converted, can things be connected by runaround tubes, that sort of thing. It may be of course that a bigger hutch is absolutely the right way to go, but it's one of those issues where I think you risk them switching off completely and not making any changes if they suddenly think they need to spend hundreds of pounds. Also vaccination, also I have vague recollections there's a rabbit awareness week soon where many vets are doing a free health check, might be worth finding out if there is a participating vet nearby that you could recommend they take their bun for a free check over to check teeth, ears etc as well as the bits you can see.

I'm sure when you get there it will become clear what the priorities are and hopefully they will listen to you - good luck!

Neutering? Especially if the bun is a female, as that will help both with the aggression and the uterine cancer risk. Rather than automaticslly go for 'bigger hutch'' I would play it by ear when you get there, see what size accommodation it is, is there a run, how much exercise does bun get, and make recommendations form there. It could be, for instance, that if money is tight, there might be a more creative way to get the rabbit more space rather than buying a completely new hutch - are there outbuildings that could be converted, can things be connected by runaround tubes, that sort of thing. It may be of course that a bigger hutch is absolutely the right way to go, but it's one of those issues where I think you risk them switching off completely and not making any changes if they suddenly think they need to spend hundreds of pounds. Also vaccination, also I have vague recollections there's a rabbit awareness week soon where many vets are doing a free health check, might be worth finding out if there is a participating vet nearby that you could recommend they take their bun for a free check over to check teeth, ears etc as well as the bits you can see.

I'm sure when you get there it will become clear what the priorities are and hopefully they will listen to you - good luck!

Great advice thanks. :thumb:

I'm borrowing my friend's nail clippers so no worries there. I'll let you all know how it goes. :wave:

ve got the small animal clippers, as well as other checks see what food brand he s feeding if mix, and if t is recommened a pelleted brand like ss or burgess, but gradually weaning of one food on to other if they change
as mentioned neutering too amd vaccinations and RAW week is near end september for free health checks for rabbits
also if they have access to run outdoors and freedom over then just the hutch and how to keep them occupied with forage and play things

I've just been. Lovely bun! Very well looked after. The hutch is a bit small but I gave him some ideas and the bun's back nails were so long but I clipped them and said I'd always come over to do them again. Lots of hay and lovely poos. :mrgreen:

Back