• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

run on grass and shed ventilation

vergo97

Warren Scout
I've almost finished setting up Fred's shed, but the run is going to be on grass. When you dig up the grass and put mesh underground, can you put the grass back on top, and will it be ok?

Last edited:
I relaid new turf as the grass had mainly gone anyway. Now I'm having to do it all again for Heidi after the failed bonding, I'm just planning to attach mesh to the run base then put new turf over the top. Can't dig up anymore of the garden! It's not ideal but the easiest option!! I imagine it will be difficult to dig ur grass up to reuse :?

Yeah :D when you put it back give it a good water :) it worked for us anyway :D

Try and dig it up so it looks like the turf you buy, or in manageable squares, put the mesh under and get some soil/compost then relay the turf (this is what we did and it worked fine, it wasn't for the rabbits but same thing)

I bought turf to put on top of the mesh too, I imagine it would be very difficult to put the grass back.

I might try laying back the old grass and then if that doesn't grow back well then I'll get new turf. How much would new grass cost (the run's 5x2ft), and how much would mesh cost for putting under it?

Also, does the shed need adapting for ventilation? I've got £45 left from my birthday, but some of that would go on the mesh.

I might try laying back the old grass and then if that doesn't grow back well then I'll get new turf. How much would new grass cost (the run's 5x2ft), and how much would mesh cost for putting under it?

Also, does the shed need adapting for ventilation? I've got £45 left from my birthday, but some of that would go on the mesh.

Not much :wave: you could get 2 of the mesh rolls from Wilkos :) it's the small square mesh :) not too expensive either :p you could get another roll of the mesh and use that for the window/s on the shed :D

I'll get that then :) If the window was meshed, wouldn't it get cold in winter?

You can always use the plastic window to cover it up again or just use a plastic cover over winter to keep rain out :)

Just went to aldi, if you have one near you they have a big roll of small mesh in for £10 :D you'd have loads left over but it was a good deal I thought :D

Last edited:
I got my mesh from eBay for about £10 and it was just enough to cover a 6x8 run with a bit of overhang to secure. I found B&Q cheapest for turf rolls, only needed 5 for my run although the grassed area is prob about 4.5x8ft but I had some left over aswell so was plenty for that! Think it was only £3.99 a roll :D

Back