• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Neighbours left their rabbit out, I think

LittleEskimo

Mama Doe
Well do any of you guys remember when I posted that photo with the rabbit in the rabbit hutch?? Well since then I have noticed that they open the bottom level of the hutch and let him/them (I think I saw a second bun) free range around their garden. I have seen them running around in the reflection of the conservatory. They usually leave them out later then I would leave Rosie and Pebbles out but they are always back before it gets too dark.

Well I just went to close my window as it was getting a bit nippy and I saw the hutch was open and chances are the rabbits are still running around in the dark. I can't see any lights on in the house and the blinds are all closed :( wondering if they forgot about the buns or maybe they took them inside for a bit. They aren't my next door neighbours, they are on the opposite row of houses, to one far side, and I can just see into their garden. So I can't tell for sure if the rabbits are in the garden or maybe in the house...

Little worried about them being left out, it is a bit nippy and obviously there are chances of cats and owls

Last edited:
What do you think? Should I wait or put a note through the door saying their hutch is still open?

Just a little nervous as I finally saw who lives there the other day and he looks a bit scary :(

Ok bathroom light is on so there's someone in there...ugh! I hate being a social idiot. Or else I would have walked over there already and knocked on the door

Weren't you saying on another thread that you leave your bunnies running around the garden even if you have to go out? Maybe they have seen you do this and think it's okay.

Weren't you saying on another thread that you leave your bunnies running around the garden even if you have to go out? Maybe they have seen you do this and think it's okay.

I doubt it, I can barely see their garden so I doubt they will be able to see into mine to know that I have a hutch or buns

I would just go over and warn them that you've seen a fox recently and you had started shutting your bunnies up unless supervised and you want to caution them to do the same to stop the fox coming back.

Have you talked to them about the bunny before?

Not much you can do really, unless you want to go speak to them. I wouldnt leave a note as its a bit rude. There may be more foxes around at night and of course owls, but there are birds of prey in the daytime too, and cats, and magpies/crows/ravens too, so really they could be killed free-ranging in the day or at night if not supervised.

The buns are ok, I was up quite early and looked out the window to see both of them sat at the top level of the hutch. My main worry was owls has I have heard them hooting in the trees nearby now and again when I can't sleep.

They have put them away tonight. I think they must have just forgotten about them

A tawny owl might (only might) take a young or small-sized rabbit but it wouldn't be capable of taking a normal sized domestic bun. An adult rabbit would be outside a barn owl's capabilities and the other owls are too small - excepting an European Eagle owl and there are very few of those around in the UK and none in Plymouth unless they've escaped from a birds of prey centre. Buzzards could be a threat but only in the day and again, if they are normal size domestic buns buzzards are unlikely to be a problem.

Back