• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

We have a third bunny....

kelpopp

New Kit
Hello

So, we got a pair of buns a couple of weeks ago. They were being kept of a tower block balcony and we've (hopefully) improved their lot. They have a shed to live in and a large grassy run to binky about in. They've put on weight and are friendly and seem happy in the time we've had them - they binky and sunbathe and just look joyful.

My Husbaand went to a fur and feather auction today. He went a long while ago (before we had rabbits, when we had chickens) to buy hay. Since the buns cleverly chewed throught the string holding their hay bale together and then wee'd all over the hay, we needed fresh supplies.

The auction has changee a lot since he last went apparently - only a couple of hens (there used to be lots) and a lot more 'small furries' (ferrets, rabbits, guinea pigs)

Long story short, the 3 bunnies there came up for auction (seperate lots) The first 2 went for a pound each and then Jon says he cottoned on to what was going on - they were being bought by the same man for his Lurchers. Jon outbid the guy for the last one once he realised where these poor rabbits were headed and bought home a very thin little rabbit. I can feel all his ribs and his backbone and he has a patch of fur either side (around his waist) where the fur is shorter and there are a couple of scabbed over 'puncture' marks - maybe from a hutch mate??? He seems bright and is eating/poo-ing/peeing etc. I've got him booked in at the vets for Tuesday (my day off) just to make sure.

I feel awful - in the past I would go with him to the auction but I didn't today (but thinking about it logically, we've only kept rabbits for a few weeks - could I have successfully bonded 3 individual rabbits - and what about my existing 2?)

Anyway, we have a hutch for the new bunny (inadequate but very very temporary) and a run and small dog kennel for during the day but I need to think long term.

I've read the bonding a trio thread but I don't think it would work with the two we have - they've not been here long and are only just starting to come out of their shells with us. I think a third wheel might be too much for them. We will be building a bigger run for the new bunny (imaginatively named Spot) but I wonder if it would be better to have him as a house rabbit? Or should we get him a friend (once we've built a proper run and whatnot)

I know impulse buying rabbits is completely unacceptable but I totally stand by what Jon did and I'm only sorry he didn't realise what was going on sooner and didn't buy the other 2 as well. Any advice re:bonding or house rabbiting would be gratefully received.

Thank you

Kelly
xxx

You could try bonding the three and if it works then great but if it doesn't then i'd deffo get him a wee pal.
We have 3 just now ( soon to be 4) and Parsley is the one single boy left.
He has been driving me bonkers with attention seeking behavoiur, because he can smell the new bunny we got.
But Parsley will soon be sorted out, once i've got my set up's rearranged!
If you do decide to keep him and his potential pal as a house bunny pair then bunny proof everything!
Look at it from the bunnies perspective, what looks interesting, and even things you don't think look interesting.
And they can get into smaller spaces than you think, like cats.
We generally let Parsley free range during the day when someone is about to watch him and make sure he doesnt get up to any mischeif. And at night we pop him in his hutch we have in the living room.
:)

Lucky little bun that you rescued him, but do be careful to quarantine him from your others for a few weeks and I'd treat for coccidiosis and EC as a precaution anyway.... Do hope he's okay... we do need pics :wave:

Back