• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poultry recycled tyre chippings for rabbit run?

popcornpigs

Young Bun
My sister just mentioned this product to me for mud management in the chicken run - its a type of play bark alternative that you can hose down to clean and lasts ages. Would it be suitable for my rabbit run? I have two buns in a 8ftx5ft run with runaround tunnel to the hutch but the floor of the run is damp and smelling mouldy - it was originally chicken wire base with a layer of gravel then turf on top but it's now well worn - I have tarpaulin to cover it in winter and rain (clear) but it is still muddy. I was thinking playbark but am unsure of what would be safe.

yeah, i wonder if they're even safe for chickens..I'd be concerned about chickens eating them too, unless the chips are much too big to swallow.

I wouldn't use the rubber chippings, like the others I'd be worried about them chewing.
I've used regular playbark for my rabbits before and it worked quite well, I just aired the chippings out for a few days before putting them in the run.

I'd also be careful about where you get rubber chips for if you decide to use them for your chooks as I've read a lot of cases where there have been dangerous bits of metal in the bags. Just make sure it's a well recommended company :D

I use easi-bed outside for my chooks run. That way they can scratch and dig but it stops it from getting really boggy. We clean them out regularly but change the easi-bed every 3-4 weeks in the run, I wouldn't use rubber as I would think they would eat it. The easi-bed is safe for rabbits too so can recommend that:D

My rabbits have wood chippings which is different from bark.

My mum bought some play wood bark for the garden and she has got a spare bag so I am going to put this in their run.

Back