• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Storm acting like a teenager again?

sparklefairy

Wise Old Thumper
Storm is a French lop who has just turned 7, so why is he buzzing and humming and chasing Gypsy around? He has never been this bad before, just a bit of chasing but nothing this bad. He even pulled a little bit of her fur :cry:

He has been more boisterous than normal too, especially over food. He will charge to the gate sometimes trampling poor gypsy :cry: he doesn't mean it, he's just greedy. He doesn't even notice what he's done.

Most of the time Gypsy and Storm are still very much loved up and cuddled up.

Gypsy is slightly weaker and a little less feisty than she used to be. She is 8 and a half and has had EC which knocked her for 6 last year. She pulled through but her back legs are weaker. Gypsy also has arthritis in her spine. Is storm testing her? is he trying to be top bunny? ( gypsy was top bunny and very much the madam )

Storm is digging more than ever, there's never any megazorb in the poo tray. As fast as I'm sweeping it up he's digging it out again :shock:

What is going on with my big guy?

It could be trouble with his teeth. Not at all unusual in a 7 year old Rabbit, even one with no previous history of dental problems. I have known 'being hyper' as the only symptom when the Bun actually had discomfort in his mouth.

It could be trouble with his teeth. Not at all unusual in a 7 year old Rabbit, even one with no previous history of dental problems. I have known 'being hyper' as the only symptom when the Bun actually had discomfort in his mouth.

thank you jane. i hadn't even thought of teeth. he did have his teeth checked about a month ago when i was worried about sneezing (which turned out to be nothing) they checked heart, temp, lungs and teeth and all was good. would it be worth taking him back?

thank you jane. i hadn't even thought of teeth. he did have his teeth checked about a month ago when i was worried about sneezing (which turned out to be nothing) they checked heart, temp, lungs and teeth and all was good. would it be worth taking him back?

I would. I'd also weigh him every 3-4 days. Older age onset of Dental problems often manifests its self in subtle ways such as a change in behaviour and/or weight loss. The Rabbit may appear to be eating normally, but they actually eat more slowly and so less in quantity.. If there are other Rabbits around they will polish off the food before the Dental Bun has a chance to eat his fair share. This can then cause food aggression-the Dental Bun trying to make sure this doesn't happen by chasing any other Rabbits at feed time or just barging them out of the way.

They can also start to display dominant behaviour at other times such as lots of humping.

The scrabbling of litter trays etc seems to be done in frustration at the niggling discomfort in the mouth. The Bun may also start to pull at hay and throw it about. They can also develop a paper/cardboard chewing habit.

I would. I'd also weigh him every 3-4 days. Older age onset of Dental problems often manifests its self in subtle ways such as a change in behaviour and/or weight loss. The Rabbit may appear to be eating normally, but they actually eat more slowly and so less in quantity.. If there are other Rabbits around they will polish off the food before the Dental Bun has a chance to eat his fair share. This can then cause food aggression-the Dental Bun trying to make sure this doesn't happen by chasing any other Rabbits at feed time or just barging them out of the way.

They can also start to display dominant behaviour at other times such as lots of humping.

The scrabbling of litter trays etc seems to be done in frustration at the niggling discomfort in the mouth. The Bun may also start to pull at hay and throw it about. They can also develop a paper/cardboard chewing habit.

storm still eats at twice the speed as gypsy and often eats his share then steals the rest of hers. he's a real food monster!.

his behaviour is exadurated versions of everything he already does. i guess it's still a change in behaviour though.

storm has lost weight since this time last year. he has not been weighed a lot but i know he used to weigh around 6kg now he's 5.8kg. i thought it was just his age or the fact that i cut down thier pellets. he had been getting a dirty bum.

i wish they could talk to me!

Back