• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bonding pen for a trio?

belgian2

Alpha Buck
what size indoor pen would you suigguest for bonding a trio?2 belgian hare boys to add a dwarf lop female to. I am planning on doing the bond in kitchen some weeks after the lop has been spayed (boys already done) as none of them have ever been in there. it is however a very large room and I don't want them loose in there.trying to plan ahead so can either buy, borrow or make something. been looking at
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/55-RABBIT...et_Supplies_Small_Animals&hash=item415d2244a9
but not sure if the pen will just collapse if anyone leans up it as obviously cannot peg it to ground indoors!

at the moment they see each other most of day and night through wire and can touch noses through wire. everyone very happy with each other at this point and no aggression. they are all outdoor buns .

Last edited:
Have you read the sticky on bonding a trio at the top of page? We tend to go for a smaller area rather than a big one. Seems to work although I haven't tried it mysellf.

Hi, thank you, yes have read- thats part of reason need a pen rather then the room lol. I've ordered a pen that makes a 4 foot x 4 foot now- and can have panels added or removed. can't see how I can go any smaller really as my belgian hares are big rabbits. at least with the one I've ordered if i need smaller can reduce and if need bigger can wire it to a weldmesh panel I already have.
I am just hoping it goes well- they already hang out together 90% of time with wire inbetween and no nastyness and I'm starting to see a little grooming through the bars.

Between the bars won't tell you how they get on when put together :wave: It's a whole different kettle of fish :lol:

Hope all goes well :wave: keep it nice and small for at least 24+ hours :) when bonding they don't need the room, they need a small area to force interaction and not enough space to have big fights. It means they can't avoid each other :)

thank you. its miles off yet anyhow as waiting for my little lop to be old enough to spay then for her hormones to drop. just plotting in advance!!!
at least none of them have ever been in kitchen so its an ultra neutral space.

i know its different when no bars but i am chuffed that the boys have started grooming her- and they choose to spend an awlful lot of time next to her.

ooo i don't take asking twice!!!
heres the boys!
asbo6.jpg

asbo2.jpg

asbo3.jpg

part of their set up
g4.jpg

and my little Moocher
moocherstand.jpg

thank you:D I am besotted with all 3 of them lol.
now would anyone like to hazard a guess what size my little lop Moocher is likely to end up at? i weighed her last week at 11/12 weeks and she was 850g . i was told she was a dwarf lop but she seems sooo small.. is she a mini?

ok, sorry for repeating myself but hoping for advice off those who have been there

the stage i am at...

I have two brother belgian hares- both castrated 5 weeks ago and about 7 months old. they get on great.
then I have a 13 week small lop doe. the boys have access to her 24/7 as they please on other side of wire--and although when they first saw her they squabbled with each other they now behave normally with each other and wash each other plus occassionally wash her through the rather wide set (dog cage barrier) bars.the bars are wide enough set for muzzels to fit through and bite if anyone wished to- they have not. on other hand when little lop sprang loose from me in garden in front of them they tried to chase her in a very unfriendly (not lust ) manner. they didn't make contact as i shoed them off and grabbed her.- this was however their unneutral terratory.

I would like to bond these into one group- i have a new pen and plan on using kitchen to put it up in for bond (none of them have ever been in kitchen before) do I have to wait until little lop is spayed and recovered before bonding or can I do it soon? it will be rather a long time till she is old enough to spay and more i think about it the more I don't think its a great idea to bring outdoor rabbits indoors for a week or two in middle of winter then put them out again-and i do need to do bond indoors as its only place they haven't been.

I would say wait as the bond may break down when she gets hormonal or after her spay anyway and there probably won't be any going back from that. When you do bond as well just watch for your hares trying to hurdle the pen you are using as my hare crosses are quite flighty when bonding. Good luck whichever way you decide :)

ok, sorry for repeating myself but hoping for advice off those who have been there

the stage i am at...

I have two brother belgian hares- both castrated 5 weeks ago and about 7 months old. they get on great.
then I have a 13 week small lop doe. the boys have access to her 24/7 as they please on other side of wire--and although when they first saw her they squabbled with each other they now behave normally with each other and wash each other plus occassionally wash her through the rather wide set (dog cage barrier) bars.the bars are wide enough set for muzzels to fit through and bite if anyone wished to- they have not. on other hand when little lop sprang loose from me in garden in front of them they tried to chase her in a very unfriendly (not lust ) manner. they didn't make contact as i shoed them off and grabbed her.- this was however their unneutral terratory.

I would like to bond these into one group- i have a new pen and plan on using kitchen to put it up in for bond (none of them have ever been in kitchen before) do I have to wait until little lop is spayed and recovered before bonding or can I do it soon? it will be rather a long time till she is old enough to spay and more i think about it the more I don't think its a great idea to bring outdoor rabbits indoors for a week or two in middle of winter then put them out again-and i do need to do bond indoors as its only place they haven't been.

For the most succesful chance in bonding I would certainly wait a minimum of 4 weeks after her spay to ensure she is completely healed and not stressed by the situation (afterall recovering from such a big operation is stressful enough).
Once she is completely healed (usually 4-6 weeks) you can attempt your bonding :)

Back