• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Malocclusion - front teeth removed

Summer&Skye

Mama Doe
What would this mean for the bunny? If they've had their front teeth removed but are eating normal food would there be any 'maintainence' requirements for them?

I had a friend who's bun had his front teeth removed and the ONLY difference there was with his upkeep was that she has to chop his vegetables into pellet-sized pieces so he could just crunch them up. He ate his pellets and hay in exactly the same way as any bunny, without any sort of chopping or crushing needed. Obviously you'd need to keep a close eye on the other teeth as there could be issues if the bun has already had malocclusion but otherwise....just those veggies to chop!

They might not be able to take the caecotrophs as easily and *may* end up having to be cleaned up as the caecatrophs get stuck to the fur round the anus as they can't do it themselves. They could find some other grooming more difficult too.

I have Herbie who has no front teeth (apart from a stupid peg tooth that was not root killed properly at the op and has to be burred). He manages fine with science selective pellets, all hays and Herbs. I have to cut up things like spring greens, cabbage, broccoli, baby sweetcorn etc.

He is no different to any other bun apart from having to chop the veg :)

He has no trouble with his caecotrophs and he is a longish haired lionhead.

Nope, friend's bun had no trouble with caecotrophs either, and he was a short haired bun who got regular grooming so no problem there either x

My little Mr Shelby had his front teeth out last year. I chop his veg up but apart from that he is great, no other problems. :love:

Thanks for all ur replies, so would anything like dandelion leaves need to be chopped aswell? And if say it was apple or carrot would it be best grated? And cabbage etc chopped finely in strips like ud have yourself in a salad??!

My Snoopy has no incisors and he manages really well. He has normal pellets and hay. It takes him a bit longer to eat hay as he has to find an end pience to be able to grab and munch rather than take any strand.
With regards to cutting stuff up I only cut the really hard stufff (broccoli and the occasional carrot) things like greens I roughly tear, as long as there is a narrow edge he gums it up into his mouth. Dandilions, parsley etc I don't bother chopping as he manages to grab one end and shove it in, because even the fat end of a dandilion leaf is quite floppy he can even get it by the fat end and gum it in. It is amazing how well he manages to be honest.

:wave: Mr Shelby needs his carrots chopping. i just rip his dandelions. greens etc up into smaller pieces and he is fine. He struggles eating grass out of the garden so i pull it up for him x

I have a little bun with no inscisors and she copes brilliantly. They use their lips to get the food in. Up to now we have had no problems.

Back