• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does any branch of the SSPCA neuter/vaccinate?

Minimallow

Wise Old Thumper
I was surprised to find out that my local SSPCA does not neuter or vaccinate any buns that come in :? I'm assuming this is down to funding as I know they do neuter the dogs/cats or at least give vouchers to have it done at certain vets at no cost to the person adopting. I did get a voucher for 15% off Abbie's spay but only at a certain vet and even with the discount the price would have been £95 which is still £14 more expensive than my own vet. While I understand that as I said before it's probably down to funding I feel the bunnies may either lose out on a home as means people will go elsewhere instead of having to pay for a full spay/neuter and both vaccinations, or because the adoption fee is only around £15, people will get the buns and just not get these vital things done. Just wondering what anyone else thinks, thank you

We got Daisy from the Edinburgh branch. She wasn't neutered or vaccinated. They told me they only vaccinate during warmer months (we got her in january) and they neutered one bunny every week due to funding. This was for the bunnies in their care. Not sure if they do it for adopted buns.

I thought it might be due to funding. I was thinking of contacting my local shelter and asking if i were to do a fundraiser especially for the buns on a continuing basis if they would be able to use that money to neuter/vaccinate etc. Obviously i'd be limited to what i could do but if it means some of them are neutered/vaccs then it's better than nothing. If I did it I would want the money to only go on that as of course if it went just to the normal charity it wouldn't be spent on that.

I got 2 bunnies from SSPCA. They weren't neutered but they had a vet practice attached and they gave me vouchers for 20% discount on neuters for both of them. When I mentioned that we had wild rabbits in our area, they actually vaccinated them for myxi there and then before I took them home :D

I got 2 bunnies from SSPCA. They weren't neutered but they had a vet practice attached and they gave me vouchers for 20% discount on neuters for both of them. When I mentioned that we had wild rabbits in our area, they actually vaccinated them for myxi there and then before I took them home :D

I got a voucher for 15% off the bunny spay but they use a large practice that's a lot more expensive. If i were to get a spay done with the voucher it would have cost me £95 and at my own vet without the voucher was £81!

Up until about three years ago vaccinations and neuters were not routinely done for rabbits. Amongst the staff rabbit knowledge was fairly poor and the species was generally looked down upon/passed over in favour of dogs, cats and livestock. However things have improved but they are nowhere near the standard of the RSPCA for example. Paws Here is a rabbit and small mammal rescue in Edinburgh and they do neuter/vaccine. Any money raised can be donated towards a specific resident or purpose.

Back