• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding my rabbits!

AlexandraLT

Warren Scout
Hello i have decided to tell you my progress about my bonding. As im not an expert and i feel that i could get some helpful advise.
As most of you will know i have three netherland dwarf rabs who have been seperated for gender issues. I now feel it is time to put them back together, or at least try to. First of all i have two neutered boys, and as we were concerened whether my female was pregnant we had to wait till we have the all clear to get her done too. So my first question is whether i should wait till she is done and healed before i can deal with the two males who were a problem originally?
I decided to start bonding the males anyway though as i felt that these two are the ones who are gunna cause me most problems.

So here we go.. and the story begins..

Day 1: friday the 31st of august.
Equipment: old trainers and a spray water bottle!

I took the two males into the bath tub and put them both at different ends of the bath. i then released them. they went to eachother and started to have a little nipping fight. so i sprayed them and seperated them to both ends on the bath. I then started again and had to spray them a couple of times. Eventually, quite quickly actually, they were able to hop past eachother fine. They would then take little quicl nips at eachother eachother on the others sides. I did stop this but didnt know whrther this was a negative or a bad sign. Is it? I then fed them both carrot together and they happily shared and then put them back in the cages after a couple more minutes of thembeing fine together.
I felt this very a good start! Is it?
Should i introduced my female? Or leave her out of it until she is done?
Thanks for your help.
Will keep you all updated :)

The female will need to be done and you'll need to wait for her hormones to calm down for a good few weeks first (we waited 12).

I personally didnt use a spray bottle - i just put my hands in and moved them out of the way when they had a go at each other.

Just wanted to mention that you may get a good bond with the males but when you introduce the doe at a later stage, this bond may break down. I would agree with bunnybabbitsboing that it might be best to wait to do them all together.

And the sticky is a must read! :thumb:

Back