• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A couple questions from a newbie

minifrosting

New Kit
Hi! I just joined and I have a couple questions about my bunny, Pippin (he's 5 month old jersey wooly)

first- I'm confused about litter training! All the books I've read say they just go in 1 corner of the cage and then you put the litter tray there, but he goes all over the place! (is he too young?)

second-whenever I open the hutch door to take him out, he runs into his little cardboard house I have in there for him. Is he scared of me? (I've had him for only a month)

Oh, he lives in a big (2ft by 4ft) hutch on my porch ( it has an upstairs, a downstairs ,and a run)

Last edited:
With the litter training, try putting poop and pee in the litter tray to encourage him to go in it. he might just not get the idea. and a separate tray big enough for him to sit in with hay in it can encourage him to poop there, since bunnies poop while they eat and his diet should be about 90% hay, if you don't know that already. I say a separate tray because buns tend to not like to pee where they eat.

He might be scared of you or of your hands or of being picked up. Buns don't usually like being picked up.

min. hutch size is 6x2 so the hutch is a bit small. the run should be 6x4 min. i think...or maybe it's like 8x4 now? (the min. size has changed fairly recently).

A lot of rabbits run away when you open their door - it's because they are prey animals so always cautious. Male rabbits tend to be cleaner than female rabbits so make sure it is a boy when it gets a bit older and when old enough neutering helps to make them cleaner.

Wow, I didn't know that about the cage size- would have built it bigger!
He likes to sit on his litter box, so he is going in there sometimes...
So you put hay in the litter box? or a hay rack near it?

charlie is messy and he's a boy but was much better when he was neutered.although since he has a ladybun he poos everywhere!:roll: he only wees in his box though. do you have hay evrywhere or just in the litter tray? i have hay only in the litter tray and a hay rack hanging above it or right next to it.

Right now I don't have hay near the litter box, there's hay in the hay rack and on top of his cardboard house... I am going out their right now to put hay next to the litter box!
So neutering helps with litter training?

Last edited:
i scatter hay in their cage and i put hay on top of their cage, which sort of acts as their hay rack. They like stretching up and pulling the hay down.

Back