• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Boarding Rabbits in Essex

Nahatalie

Young Bun
Hi,

Just wondering is anyone knows of or uses a good boarding kennels for rabbits in Essex. my requirements for my bunnies (2 bonded indoor females) would be somewhere where they would be indoors, in a pen rather than a hutch, and an establishment that insists all its boarders are fully vaccinated against BOTH myxi and VHD. I'd provide them with their pellets and probably the hay they are used to, and the centre would have to provide fresh food (obviousl I can't supply that myself as it would go off by the end of the stay!). Last time I went on holiday my friend looked after them but I'm not sure I can get anyone to do that this time. Oo also, bonus if the place boards cats too, but not essential.

Just wondered if anyone had any good experiences, as doing an online search I can't find anything I'm happy with (the nearest one to me boards cats too and insists on vaccine records for them, but actually says on the website "we do not need vaccine records for rabbits" which I find rather concerning).

Thanks in advance!

Hate to break it to you, but I've not found anywhere in Essex (apart from sarah jane nr tiptree but she has closed now) that I'm happy with. Last time I needed bunny boarding I drove mine round to 'the duchess' from on here who runs a rescue/boarding as I just couldn't find anywhere local I feel confident in. There seem to be several good places over west London way but I haven't found one in Essex that I feel happy with! The nearest place I would recommend would be the rabbit residence in hertfordshire, although I don't know about house bunnies over there. Good luck with finding somewhere you are happy with - if you do find anywhere local I would advise visiting and not just taking their word for how things really are and their level of knowledge etc - and equally if you find anywhere good, I'd love to hear about it please!

At first glance, this one looked quite promising:

http://www.animotel.co.uk/

It has accomodation for indoor bunnies, insists on vaccines, doesn't put an extra charge on just to brush the animals (I've seen brushing, not a proper groom or anything, as "for a small fee we will brush your rabbit" on a couple of them! The cheek lol) etc.

However, they obviously don't want any business as their email address doesn't work, I've tried it using the proforma on their website AND copying and pasting the address so I can reply from gmail account. (I don't want to phone as I want a written quote on an email, otherwise I will forget it as it's so far in advance). Then on further inspection, , with no luck. It actually doesn't say anywhere on the website where in the world they are based! Which I find bizarre. (I only know they're in Grays because google said so). Also I notice the indoor pens are only separated by chicken wire, so potentially all the bunnies could see each other, surely adding extra stress? And on a final note, call me pedantic, but there are grammatical errors throughout the website which I find totally unprofessional and lazy. You know, we all make typos, which is fine on instant chat and forums etc, but this is a professional business website. Sometimes I wonder how people keep their businesses afloat!

Sorry, rant over, just feeling frustrated as this one looked promising (worth a visit anyway). I hope a friend can look after them in the end, I think you're right, there just doesn't seem to be a decent boarder in Essex!

It's so,so difficult isn't it! I look at that one and think that on face value it doesn't look too bad..but then look at some of the pictures and comments on their Facebook and am really put off - for instance a pic of a bun in a pen looking through at the bun in the pen next door, and a comment that he is hard to photograph because he is always moving or doing rude things to mrs bun... that just makes me think that they don't see the risk of referred aggression or get that him humping his mrs is probably because of other buns they can see 'next door' - and a pic of a small child on a stepstool while a bun hops about on the floor below...it's just asking for a small child to lose her balance and step on a bun, IMO. One day I will set up my own boarding and everything will be just how I want it :lol:

Gosh, I'd better start looking for a plot bigger than I was anticipating, Helen :lol:

Back