• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does your vet ever .......

Bitzy-B

Mama Doe
...... ask you about your bunnies accommodation??

I was just wondering because I took Dizzi and Rascal to the vets today for their vaccinations and I think its the first time a vet has ever asked me what kind of set up they have.

Just wondered if other vets ask ..... I feel it would be a good way to educate people ..... or do they just assume if you're taking them in for routine check ups etc that you're looking after them properly anyway?!?

When I took my previous bunny in for his first vaccination they asked what accommodation he had and they checked on the phone when I registered my current 2. They also asked what they are fed, if they live together etc. I love my vets and know that theyre very thorough though, they give out bunny packs to new bunny owners with all the info in, a toy, excel food samples etc.

Nope, but he knows 2 are in and 2 are out.Just by looking at them and their coats and teeth and weight he can see they are very much cared for.The times I take them to the vets for check ups and vaccs.
Thats enough to go by I reckon.

My Vet doesn't need to ask cos she comes round and she can see it all for herself :D

I think it's great that your Vet is asking, he/she obviously has an interest in the overall Rabbit Care situation. Very impressed :D

Oh, mine asked as well, when I brought Chrisi for the first time I had to give a lot of explanation on where I live and what is the place of the bunny in there:);) Only careful, good and loving vets do that:) or your bunnies seemed a bit chubby:lol::lol::lol:

Yep :D Now they know me they don't ask much unless it's one of the vets we don't see often in which case they ask. I think it's nice when vets take an interest in the home life of the animals they treat.

Mine did when I went with my 1st rabbit. They also referred me to the "rabbit nurse" - a free service about housing diet & all aspects of rabbit care. (I probably asked a lot)
My current vet knows me.
I think it's great that vets are asking.

Mine know the set up I have for the Boys - they checked when they were neutered if they were outdoor or indoor buns cos of keeping them warm overnight afterwards.

They know Lady Jane is an indoor bun, and didn't bat an eyelid when I told them about her four poster bed....it seems to no less than they expected to hear :lol:

yes both vets at my practice did but they know me well enough now.

the main vet has 3 giants herself and has a huge set up so we often chat and give each other ideas! :D

All the vets I see do, I see 3 different ones who are all rabbit savvy. They always ask what they get to eat, what they drink from, about toys and just what they are like in general. One vet says he likes to know so that he can make a small bond with the bunny too.

Only once & recently - a bun I'd only had 2 weeks had muscle wastage - he'd had restricted space before he came to me - & she wanted to know his set up :thumb:

No vet has ever even asked me if my pets are indoors, outdoors etc. I've always found that a bit odd.

Back