• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Any tips for daily metacam for a piggy

Mackers

Wise Old Thumper
Poor Gubbins has bladder and urethra stones and is now on daily metacam to reduce inflamation and help any discomfort. He's never enjoyed being handled so I'm trying to find a way of giving his metacam on some food and just handing it to him. So far, he's backed away from everything I've offered - despite normally loving it! Does anyone have any tips? Otherwise he'll just have to get used to having the syringe shoved in his mouth twice daily :lol:.

Can piggies eat sugar snap peas? I put Incas Metacam inside those, I make a wee slit in the top to make a wee pocket

Can piggies eat sugar snap peas? I put Incas Metacam inside those, I make a wee slit in the top to make a wee pocket

Yes they can. Hmmm - not a bad idea. I might try that. Thought about slitting open a sultana and putting the drop of metacam into that. He's thin so the sugar won't be a problem. But sugar snaps are healthier! Thanks.

Cassie is on long term Metacam and sees it as a treat! :D

For things they aren't so keen on, I've cut a slice of cucumber, and put a few grooves into the surface, in order to prevent the medicine from sliding straight off.

I put Inky's on a small piece of organic apricot (I don't like the sulphur colour of the non-orgranic). The apricot is very sweet anyway, so he doesn't notice the smell of the Metacam.

Gubs love cucumber but seems to know when I've 'doctored' anything :roll:. Not tried dried apricot though!

Gubs love cucumber but seems to know when I've 'doctored' anything :roll:. Not tried dried apricot though!

I think some pets are just less trusting:lol:! Smokey can tell if a piece of apricot has metacam on it at 20 paces. Sometimes she will eat it and glare at me the whole time as if to say "You've done something to this, I know you have, I'm not stupid!"

Back