• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Urgent advice needed!!!!

Ellasyn

Mama Doe
Please can someone help me with what to do here!

I came downstairs this morning and ran out to check bunnies as there was a lot of banging about. Both buns have been neutered last friday and were living next to eachother happily (well one had a top half of the playhouse, the other the bottom and I swapped each cleanout). I found both bunnies in the bottom half, obviously some fur pulling had gone on (this was male into females territory for past 2 days as its cleanout day today) and other than a bit of thumping I cant find any major wounds. Ill have another check in a sec as I have seperated for now as I wasnt sure what to do. Ive got a spare 5ft hutch that needs assembling that was going to add on to the run when finished and a 4ft indoor cage thats for piggie fosters when they arrive but I can use that til Ive sorted everything as Ive got a slightly skinny 4ft cage they can use if needs be.

So what do I do, should they be checked by a vet or should they be ok if theres no wound and delilah hasnt opened her stitches? Is that going to mean they wont bond? Should I separate completely away from eachother for now? I had expected to wait 6 weeks for all hormones to settle before bonding, this wasnt meant to go like this :cry:

Often wounds can only be found when they scab over, so it's very possible that there will be some that show themselves. Also, Delilah's spay wound could have been aggravated. Whether you take them to the vets is totally up to you but at the very least you're going to have to keep a very close eye on them.

Yes, this might mean they won't bond, but equally, they might, but I'm making the presumption (because you're so hot on your animal care) that you're prepared for them potentially no bonding anyway and have a backup plan for them, which hopefully means it's not the disaster it could be if they had to bond.

Thanks for the quick response! Im gonna give the vet a ring in a sec and let him know, see what he wants me to do. I cant see any angry bits on the spay wound, but will be monitoring both very closely and thankfully am at home all day other than a trip to the dentist later, so at least it was a good time to be little monsters. I had very much hoped they would bond, but if they dont I had planned to extend the run to 12ft and add a 6ft double hutch on the end and split the run, bonding each to a rescue friend. Neither bun seems stressed which I suppose is good. Theyre now happily tucking into breakfast.

Ive shut herb in a little cage for now, but cant leave him in there. Im going to swap and put delilah in as she was supposed to be having less space for another few days for recovery anyway. If I make the hutch up for herbie and bring delilah in for a day to neutralise the playhouse thats not too cruel is it? There was only the front half of the playhouse (2x5ft) open to them when they met as she was on limited space. Im so angry I still cant see how herb got down in there, theres only a tiny tiny gap and I swear even my guinea pigs wouldnt fit through. At least this happened after neutering I suppose. I feel like such an idiot.

Update to add:
Vet advised monitoring, so will keep an eye and make sure bunnies are their normal selves.

Delilah is now in the hutch, its not massive, but she should be on restricted anyway. She seems happy enough and her spay wound seems fine still (watching for redness etc) she's happily nomming her hay and Ive found no blood and no obvious wounds. Now she's out of the way Im going to sort herbie and see if I can get a better set up for him inside the playhouse for now, Ill neutralise everything either tonight or tomorrow. I hope they still like eachother. Despite a couple of bits of fur on the floor (a bit from each bun) they seemed quite ok with eachother when I found them so I suppose thats better than it could have been. I had everything secured, looks like somehow herbie broke one of the wires holding up the dividing base at the front (made removable for cleaning rather than screwed in like the back divider) and squeezed down a hole at the front. He probably scared delilah as much as anything, which wont have helped matters. Poor bunnies, Im so relieved it didnt go any worse. On top of that Ive now got to do a reintroduction for the dog to the hutch and delilah as she's only used to the playhouse and we had to indroduce that slowly as she was interested in the bunnies (she doesnt seem to chase anything on a walk, probably just curiosity but didnt want to risk it). Took a week of supervising her and when she went over to see a bunny we distracted her away and when she came we gave her treats/cuddles. Now she isnt bothered (but we dont let her out unsupervised, plus, cats come in the house if we leave the door open for our dog).

Herbie is going to have to have the 4ft cage and a few hours of supervised playtime each day for a couple more days til his restricted space time is up, then he can have the playhouse. I feel so sorry for them, I really hope I havent ruined their chances of being together.

Back