• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hypothetical question..

Azucena

Alpha Buck
Hi.

I currently have a single rabbit, Humphrey, who lives in a 6x4 shed (I do know this isn't enough :().
Would it better him being a single rabbit with more space, or a paired rabbit with shared space?

paired :)

think how much space that extra rabbit would take away from him... maybe 30cm x 10cm? Not a lot to give up for the benefit of a friend, a playmate and lower stress levels (the RWAF advise that single rabbits suffer high levels of stress). It will also help him stay warm in winter, single buns suffer more from the cold as they have nobun to snuggle up with.

I'd get him bonded to another neutered bun by someone, maybe a rescue, so they can move straight into his shed together.

Also, the easiest and cheapest way to extend his space would be to attach a run onto the shed, would be worth considering, many people use a cat flap, a pop hole or a tunnel to connect a run to a shed. If money is an issue one could be made fairly cheaply, or you can get metal ones pretty cheap.

Thanks for your response. :wave:

Unfortunately the position of the shed means no run can be attached without a 7m runaround tunnel or something!

I wouldn't be able to adopt from a rescue though?

Could you put a run on the front of the shed then, probably something made with aviary panels would be best, so then you could walk straight through it. As a guide, the rwaf reccommend 44sqft of space (http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/ahutchisnotenough.htm), at the moment you have 24sqft, so something like a 5x4 run (20sqft) or bigger would take you to the reccommended minimum size.

If you wanted to increase the space available inside the shed as well, you could add shelves or even a big second level - this would increase their space dramatically.

You could just have a separate run. If space is an issue a collapsible one would be a good idea, but they can be a pain to find in the bigger sizes.

Why couldnt you adopt from a rescue? With a separate or attached run I'm sure your setup would meet most requirements :)

I have two bunnies in a 6ft x 4ft shed :D - I have added two extra levels (each are half the length so 4ft x 3ft) with ramps..... gives them extra space, we also can't attach a run (and wouldn't feel comfortable as we have a daily fox visitor!). We have an internal mesh door, so thru the day we open the main door, they get loads of light and air :) in winter, we put a perspex cover over 3/4 of the mesh door, so they still have light, but no rain or snow can get in, and they still get fresh air.... we also have the addition of a huuuuuuuge canopy above the door now, to stop any rain blowing in :)

It was really cheap to add the levels - the wood was free from homebase skip! and the brackets cost about 90p each - there's four on each shelf :D

We make sure they have at least 4 hours a day out of the shed, free roaming in half our garden (we use galv runs opened up to create a fence across the whole of our garden) and they come in our house in the evening if the weather is bad, so we spend time with them and they get to run around loads!

This is our shed: (Its a little different now, they have different toys, and litter trays, and a better mesh door but the shelves are the same).

shed1.jpg

We use the runs opened up like this - this is a small section believe it or not, we have enough panels for them to have the entire lawn :D - excuse the grass, this was when it hadn't stopped raining for weeks and it was too wet to cut! lol

20120501_195212.jpg

We adopted our two from RSPCA and tbh they did need some persuading to let us adopt (their issue was the fact we didn't have a permanent run) but once I explained that actually, the overall space they had was more than if they had a run, and they'd be out 4 hours, they were fine - and at that point, we only had one level in the shed)

Thanks, although a run wouldn't be possible at the front, and in the shed already is a double hutch with the bottom open and the top closed off with my guinea pig living in it so there's not really room for shelves. :/ But I love the shelves in the shed Rupert & Tia (and the idea of Perspex to cover the mesh door in winter, I had wondered what to do). Sorry, I should have mentioned this.

An unattached run will be made (8x6) but they wouldn't have this space over the winter months and when raining. I though that would be an issue for most rescue centres.

I think if you had a set up like Rupert&Tia, with extra levels, plenty of light in the shed, and a separate run area, I would be happy to rehome to you. :) An extra level of say 3x4 in a 6x4 shed would provide 36sq foot of space. It's worth asking your local rescues.

Rupert&Tia your grass looks awesome! :)

The perspex was really easy to attach, just with a few bolts - you need to use washers tho so it doesn't crack.

Thank you for the comments :D I love their shed.... I always think it looks small on pictures but it isn't :D I have to say tho, it was a battle I thought I was going to loose when explaining our set up to the RSPCA rehomer, but in the end she really liked the set up :D

Haha the grass is a nightmare! Especially then, Rupert loved it tho! Its long again now actually, we need to cut it, next doors cat has crapped all over it (soooooo annoyed) that my own rabbits can't use our own lawn! I'm gonna start chucking the **** over the fence (im not even joking).

A seperate run sounds fine to me :) I would have one, with a tunnel, but I know we have a fox that comes every day so I wouldn't be comfortable with it.

I think if you had a set up like Rupert&Tia, with extra levels, plenty of light in the shed, and a separate run area, I would be happy to rehome to you. :) An extra level of say 3x4 in a 6x4 shed would provide 36sq foot of space. It's worth asking your local rescues.

Rupert&Tia your grass looks awesome! :)

Hi. Thanks but Unfortunatley extra shelves aren't possible at the minute due to a double hutch in the shed with the top level housing my guinea pig.

The separate run sounds fine, thats a good size. You could easily make it available in the winter months too by providing a shelter in there, and putting tarpaulin over the run to protect it from the rain, or perspex or plywood sheeting :)

I think the main issue if they couldnt be allowed in the run would be that the buns would be in semi-darkness all day, a mesh and perspex door like Rupert & Tia's would solve that problem though.

Once youve got the run, your setup will be great!

The separate run sounds fine, thats a good size. You could easily make it available in the winter months too by providing a shelter in there, and putting tarpaulin over the run to protect it from the rain, or perspex or plywood sheeting :)

I think the main issue if they couldnt be allowed in the run would be that the buns would be in semi-darkness all day, a mesh and perspex door like Rupert & Tia's would solve that problem though.

Once youve got the run, your setup will be great!

Thanks. :wave:

I have a mesh door which I have open during the day.. Will add some perspex for winter. :)
In a few years time he will be an indoor rabbit, but that's not possible now.

As I live with my parents it's their decision not mine as to whether I can get him a friend, but I really think he wants one. This thread has been very helpful though thanks everyone. :D

Back