• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pink Baldy hock question?

kat031181

Alpha Buck
Ive been driving myself crazy today noticed a pinky red dot on both of Smudges hind legs today immediately panicked and have spent the day on the internet researching!

The spots are baldy but they have the comb over of hair which i think is protecting them i can touch them without him reacting so dont think they are sore. Im wondering if they are carpet burns as he has been doing some crazy binks the last few nights

He is an indoor free ranging bunny so i have added extra blankets to the places that he most commanly sits and will monitor them each day but what changes am i looking for? he has been with me a year and this is the first time i have seen them wondering if the skin will toughen up if so will the colour become less bright?

i know its a lot of questions sorry :wave:

I found the same problem last night with both my indoor buns! Bo has one on her right leg and we have put that down to her over compensating as she has just recovered from a broken left hind leg! Mo has one on each leg, but seem to have hardened in to a callous now.

What I did was heat up a little water in the kettle but not too hot for obvious reasons and then add a little salt (homemade saline).Clean the bald patch with the saline, pat dry and the apply a little sudocream.

I have done this once last night and the redness has gone already!!

Hope this helps

Could be yes, sore hocks are fairly common and the skin does tend to harden. You are welcome to come and see Alberts sore feet sometime if you want to compare :D

Thanks might take you up on that Webble and MoBo thank you il give it a couple of days and see how its looking he is no different in himself at all, prob just wondering why the downstairs is a mis match of towels blankets and fleeces!!!! Il watch and get back to everyone x

Quick update for those who are interested x Smudge has only been allowed to rest on fleece and i have put a cotton duvet cover over the area that i restrict him to at night and i have been changing his litter twice a day as i think he also has been siting too much in the tray ?irratating his foot and good result the spot seem a lot less red and more pink there is aarea a bit bigger than a pinhead area that is still quite red but il keep an eye hopefully will settle now x

Thank you to those that answered my worries x

Back