• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not eatting after vacinations

foxy2279

Alpha Buck
I got my two boys Buster and Brownie vacinated today. Buster is not eatting now.

I have tried him with some treats he likes and he's turning his nose up. The vet did miss with the needle the first time and covered him in the vacine. Brownie is fine and having no problems at all.

I'm just very worried now because he is being neutered next week and if the stress from the vacination has stopped him from eating i dread to think what he will be like next week. I've only had them just over a week and a half so not quite sure what i can use to tempt him to eat.

Any suggestions i would be very grateful.

My youngest daughter got him to eat at 5.35pm. She give him fresh danilion leafs from the garden.

Last edited:
Which vaccine was it? I too would take Buster back to the vet tonight.

I would also wait a minumum of 2 weeks after a vaccine before having mine neutered.

What time was the vaccination?
It could just be the stress that he doesn't trust you any more to eat in front of you. Put him in an area he is comfortable and leave him alone with some food, making sure you know how much there is of each. Then monitor if he eats anything. If you have a few oats you could feed them, most rabbits will eat them up straight away. Soak them in water and dry them out to avoid them swelling in the stomach.

Some bunnies do not respond well to vaccinations. I had to make the decision not the have Snowdrop vaccinated against VHD this year as last year it made her tummy condition much worst. I am hoping to try her with the new combined vaccine soon to see how she reacts to that.

Thank you all for the advice.

Buster is now eating fine. My youngest hand fed him some danilion leafs. He's deffinatly not happy with me.

He's been in his litter tray (just cleaned it out so know it was him as Brownie was behind me the whole time). While munching some hay from the hay rack. He's now happily munching on grass and running around blinkying all over the place :D. Hopefully it was just a momentary blip.

I have to have the boys neutured next week as Brownie is getting very dominant, has started circling and has taken up humping as a national pass time. I really don't want any fights or to have to seperate them. Buster is tolerating it at the moment but don't want to take any chances.

Back