• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Molting

likeRAWR

Warren Scout
My bunny Muffin is molting again, usually only loses the hair around her back above her leg joints.

This time it seems to irritate her more than usual, I've checked for flaky skin and signs of parasites and it look like just a normal molt.

Is there something I can do other than brush her and removing the loose hair to stop her stressing so much?

doughnut is molting again too. She always had her little skirt round her, now lots are coming off. Don't know why as thought she would start getting her winter coat rather than the fluffy bits coming off.

I just brush all the time, mainly when she's eating as she gets fed up with me. She got bloated last time and stopped eating so I dread this time. I also give her dandelions as they are suppose to help and make sure she drinks lots of water. I've noticed her poops are smaller so may reduce her pellets for a little while to encourage more hay eating. I also give her rose leaves and bramble leaves to keep the digestion moving and try and get to put her on the grass if it's nice weather and get more exercise.

I don't think Doughnut is stressed but I know I am when the poops get smaller!!

My bunnies moult terribly, this year I'm trying the herbs from Galens Herbs and it's called Hedgerow herbs. Just a bit is needed every day on their food and the bunnies love it! I'm not sure how long it takes to work but all bunnies seem much happier in themselves than in their last big moult so I will continue to use it :thumb:

My bunnies moult terribly, this year I'm trying the herbs from Galens Herbs and it's called Hedgerow herbs. Just a bit is needed every day on their food and the bunnies love it! I'm not sure how long it takes to work but all bunnies seem much happier in themselves than in their last big moult so I will continue to use it :thumb:

I'll have a look at that, thanks.

She is moulting so badly, keep brushing and brushing but the same bits are still there! She's only little, don't know where it all comes from.

My rabbit had quite a serious moult this year, and I was worried that I had pulled the fur out whilst brushing him. It wasn't ,but just in case, now I wet my hands and stroke him with and against the fur. He seems to enjoy it and all the fur ticks to your wet hands. Then you let the bun go, scrub your hands together, the fur all rolls up and you just throw it away :)

Back