• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I hate this time of year . . .

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
Every morning I wake up dreading that one of them will have myxi.

Apparently the break down rate on the new myxi vaccine is the same as the old one (ie the number that will contract it despite being vaccinated).

Why cant they make one that 100%??????

Every morning I wake up dreading that one of them will have myxi.

Apparently the break down rate on the new myxi vaccine is the same as the old one (ie the number that will contract it despite being vaccinated).

Why cant they make one that 100%??????

I thought the new vaccine was supposed to offer much better protection for myxi as it was the real virus? Is this turning out not to be the case? :shock:

I thought the new vaccine was supposed to offer much better protection for myxi as it was the real virus? Is this turning out not to be the case? :shock:

Someone posted on a thread the other day that theres also a new trial into its efficiency for 12 months for Myxi also, and that you may need a booster anyway. Not sure how true that is, as they wouldnt provide any evidence, but if that is the case, hyper scary.

My vets say that the company that makes it carried out 'tests' that show it has the same breakdown rates. I also thought it was better because it was 'real' myxi . - but apparently not.

Is there only one type of myxi? I always got the impression that there were different types, like the flu and it covers the most common ones, that's why you can still get the flu even if you have the flu jab. Not sure who told me this but probably been mis-informed!!

I got Rosie and Pebbles injected the other week with the combined vaccine. So does this mean it wont last the whole year? That mean they might no not be protected until when the next vaccine is due? Goodness me :?

I got Rosie and Pebbles injected the other week with the combined vaccine. So does this mean it wont last the whole year? That mean they might no not be protected until when the next vaccine is due? Goodness me :?

as far as I understood it lasts a year (though see the other post above commenting on this) but has the same percentage of rabbits who still get myxi despite the vaccine as the old vaccine did.

Oh :censored:. I though they were safer now. It is a huge worry for you Twigs given the numbers you have. I only have a quarter of that worry. Or a fifth even!

as far as I understood it lasts a year (though see the other post above commenting on this) but has the same percentage of rabbits who still get myxi despite the vaccine as the old vaccine did.

So it has the same percentage of success/failure but it just lasts a year instead of 6 months? :?

So am I right in thinking the worst time for myxi is the warmer months when there are more mozzies and fleas about (putting aside the fact it can be transmitted by contact with a carrier of the virus)? That therefore - in an ideal world - the best time for vaccination is February and March, say, as the vaccination is most effective during the warmer months and least effective during the less dangerous winter months?

I appreciate the difficulty in acquiring rabbits to conveniently fit in with a late winter vaccination regime.

Is it known which is the most common way for the disease to transmit in domestic rabbits the UK?

Last edited:
Yes it is carried through mozzies and fleas that have bitten infected rabbits and then fly onto your rabbit, transmitting the disease. I think it can also be transmitted through clothes and on your shoes if you go walking where there are infected rabbits. Unless that is VHD.

Usually the warmer the winters and summers the higher the risk of outbreak over large areas

So am I right in thinking the worst time for myxi is the warmer months when there are more mozzies and fleas about (putting aside the fact it can be transmitted by contact with a carrier of the virus)? That therefore - in an ideal world - the best time for vaccination is February and March, say, as the vaccination is most effective during the warmer months and least effective during the less dangerous winter months?

I appreciate the difficulty in acquiring rabbits to conveniently fit in with a late winter vaccination regime.

Is it known which is the most common way for the disease to transmit in domestic rabbits the UK?

Personally I try and vaccinate sometime at end July as the worst of the mozzie season is usually Sept in this country - however that was when the vaccine only lasted 6 months (so I vaccinated in Jan/Feb and July) - now its supposed to be every 12 months I shall probably try ad go back towards May/June.

There is by the way much discussion about the extent to which myxi transfers other than by biting insects. There have been several papers published which appear to give some conflicting evidence (and some of which are now several decades old). I have had 3 myxi cases in the past here and in each instance no other rabbit caught it despite the partners of the rabbit being kept in contact with the ill rabbit and myself moving between rabbits (the three cases were in different years ).
Personally I feel rabbit to rabbit transmission without an intervening insect vector is of minimal worry, however others may disagree.

Yes it is carried through mozzies and fleas that have bitten infected rabbits and then fly onto your rabbit, transmitting the disease. I think it can also be transmitted through clothes and on your shoes if you go walking where there are infected rabbits. Unless that is VHD.

Usually the warmer the winters and summers the higher the risk of outbreak over large areas

That is VHD

That does make sense, to vaccinate before the onset of when mosquitoes are at their worst... I know that over here horses, for example, are given booster shots for west nile and the enceps (EEE, WEE, VEE) in the early spring, a couple of weeks before the onset of biting insects.

Back