• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dylan has bloat again

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
No point to this really, I rarely ever post these days when my bunnies are sick, but Dylan's continual bloat is getting to me, he's on so many drugs yet the spells in between him setting it are getting shorter. Just waiting for my vets to open to drop him in on my way to work.

I don't have any experience of bloat in bunnies, only in piggies, but just wanted to send you and Dylan (((hugs))) and hope Mr Vet can help your poor boy xx

Poor boy :cry:

It sounds as though there is something else going on to cause recurrent problems :cry:

Hope the Vet can find out what and sort it out

Lots of Dylan vibes being sent :love:

Poor little man he has had a tough time of it hasnt he hope they sort him out and he is home quickly

It's more than likely going to be tumour tbh, I doubt Dana would be able to help, or be able to advise on anything that has not been tried already, but thank you :love:, it's more frustration than anything else, as lovely as it would be for them to live forever their bodies start giving up on them eventually.

It's more than likely going to be tumour tbh, I doubt Dana would be able to help, or be able to advise on anything that has not been tried already, but thank you :love:, it's more frustration than anything else, as lovely as it would be for them to live forever their bodies start giving up on them eventually.

Oh bless him :( So heartbreaking when you see a happy bunny stuck inside a failing body :cry: I hope Dylan has plenty of quality time ahead of him and manages to remain bloat free x

Thank you, he is still a feisty little bloke, he is playing them up at the vets :lol:

Might be a long shot, but I have known of cases where age related osteoarthritis has presented as recurring gut problems. It seems that the discomfort caused by degenerative arthritic changes causes GI motility to be reduced. This in turn causes episodes of gut stasis/bloat etc.

I had always assumed that if a Bunny had arthritis in the hips and/or spine then it would obviously effect their mobility. So I expected to be able to notice things like stiffness or weakness in hind limbs etc. But I have now found out that this is not always the case, at least not in the initial stages. The Bunny remains mobile but has episodes of gut problems. I wonder if an Xray of Dylan's hips and spine might be useful. It should be possible to do at least one view without the need of a GA/sedation. If arthritic changes were found then a trial of daily metacam could be used ??

Thanks Jane, he has got arthritis and has had it for some time and it is in his hips, but he's already on daily metacam, he's still having the problem though. He had to have the metacam to help him as he was peeing over himself too.

Thanks Jane, he has got arthritis and has had it for some time and it is in his hips, but he's already on daily metacam, he's still having the problem though. He had to have the metacam to help him as he was peeing over himself too.

Poor chap :cry:

This getting old malarky is a right pain :?

I hope he can come home tonight xx

Right just had chat with vet, we're going back to Vestralvegix (how do you spell that :lol:) twice a day and the injectable metaclop, purely because when he was on that course of meds we had no bouts of bloat and he was well in himself, so trial and error with him at the moment. I'm away on holiday next week too, arrggghhhh

Poor chap :cry:

This getting old malarky is a right pain :?

I hope he can come home tonight xx

We crossed, yep he can come home, they think he will do better at home, he's picking at his food but getting grumpy with them (he's still very lively) and they said he's belly whilst still a bit puffy is not hard anymore. My ikkkle man :love::love:

Right just had chat with vet, we're going back to Vestralvegix (how do you spell that :lol:) twice a day and the injectable metaclop, purely because when he was on that course of meds we had no bouts of bloat and he was well in himself, so trial and error with him at the moment. I'm away on holiday next week too, arrggghhhh

Sounds like a good plan as it might be that the Metacam has caused gut issues for him. Some Zantac (Ranitidine) might be useful too if he's not already on it.

I'm so sorry Tree. :( I'm glad he can home and hopefully the change of meds will help him. :love:

Back