• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Outdoor buns playing inside

Mildge

New Kit
It's just over a month since we adopted our 2 boys, Simba and Smoke, via this forum. We are loving having them here and they seem to be doing well. They are outdoor buns with a 6ft 2 tier hutch and a 6ftx4ft permanent run attached. They have plenty of space to exercise but it's not that easy for us to sit with them so they can get used to us. We're too worried about letting them free range in the garden because of foxes/cats and also we may never catch them!
I think they are getting more used to us as we all spend loads of time in the garden talking to them and they are getting better at being handled. At the moment neither likes being held (one is particularly against it) so we are managing to pick them up long enough to check for problems but then they go straight back into their hutch/run. It is improving slowly.
We have thought about bringing them inside (with all hazards covered) for short periods during their playful period in the afternoon/evening so we can sit on the floor and hopefully they can come to us.
Is this a good idea? Is it too soon? I don't want to hinder their settling in time.
Would be very grateful for any advice you can offer!

:wave:

Bringing outdoor bunnies inside in this weather isn't a great idea tbh, it's like us being snug and warm in a house then being put back outside in the cold with no coat on, it can also make them poorly. Rabbits can't get colds but when rabbits get ill it's usually worse than a cold anyway because they like to worry us!

In the summer it's not too bad because temperature is similar but it's too much of a change at this time of the year :)

Yes I do see what you mean, I had read about being careful with temperatures. The house is not warm at the moment, there's no heating or anything and probably isn't vastly different to where the rabbits are, especially on a warm day (if we get any more of those I mean!) I won't take any chances though.

What do other people do if they want to try and interact/bond with rabbits who live outside?

When I first got Harvey I used to sit in his run with him on nice days, on really sunny days I used to lay in his run with the lid closed to sunbathe and sometimes fall asleep.... :oops: but he wasn't a territorial bun and didn't get scared by me being there and would come sniff me, climb on me and sit next to me. If your buns are fine to sniff you and aren't really territorial, you could always try sitting in the run too, it just means they get a better opportunity to sniff, explore and get to know you. (obviously you could only do this is you have an accessible run)

If not, on warm days you could bring them in. As long as the temperature and climate isn't very different indoors to outdoors they should be fine :)

Back