• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Changing to a water bottle

Snowberry

Wise Old Thumper
Mr B has always had a bowl for water (he is a house bunny). However over the past few weeks he has started throwing the bowl and spilling it everywhere. We have tried working with it but he is tipping it over on purpose about 20 times a day and when I'm back at work next week I am worried he will go all day with no water as he has spilt it.

We have got him a bottle instead of a bowl but I don't know how to teach him to use it. So far he has just totally ignored it because I don't think he knows what it is.

How can I teach him to use the bottle?

My old bun now has a water bowl, but used to have a bottle. You could always try putting a large dog water bowl out and fill it up to the top - it should then be too heavy to knock over! When my bun was a baby and had trouble with the water bottle (he used to bite it rather than roll the ball) I used to hold it in front of him and roll the ball around with my finger until the water dripped out. He soon got the hang of it! I'm sure your bun will soon work out what he has to do to get the water out, so don't worry too much.

My old bun now has a water bowl, but used to have a bottle. You could always try putting a large dog water bowl out and fill it up to the top - it should then be too heavy to knock over! When my bun was a baby and had trouble with the water bottle (he used to bite it rather than roll the ball) I used to hold it in front of him and roll the ball around with my finger until the water dripped out. He soon got the hang of it! I'm sure your bun will soon work out what he has to do to get the water out, so don't worry too much.

We grid really heavy bowls but he started sitting in them! Being a cashmere we don't want him to get wet as it makes his fur matt so sitting in his bowl is a pain!

Back