• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

So Concerned About Sailor Updated 14.09.012

pipkoi

Alpha Buck
I posted a little while ago about Sailor & his incontinence. This is definately worsening now largely doubly incontinent & his fur is in a real mess (& an awful smell) - that that hasn't come away where he and/or Foxy his wife, have tried to groom.:cry::cry:
His skin is in tact & I carefully watch him & apply sudecrem to skin if looking a bit red. No raw or open bits. He's been treated with Rearguard & I'm paranoid about fly strike.
Sadly what is now also noticeable is his weight loss & apparent difficulty with his back legs - though some of this could be due to his fur being so matted & solid with urine & faeces. Have worked hard at keeping this free but it is a balance between stressing him & pulling his fur/skin & keeping him clean (er) He also seems to be feeling off colour, getting quieter & quieter
We have been backwards & forwards to our vets & are going back again but would be very grateful for your positive thoughts for Sailor & his wife who seems very worried about him.
Sorry to drivel on but these times, I just feel so helpless:cry:

Last edited:
He's spent time in the vets (on 3 so far this year. Its been going on for about 18 months though worsened considerably in past couple of months) having tests going back for results. Been treated with antibiotics, change of diets, supplements, I can't remember the different things (not necessarily in that order) We changed his bedding to try to help soaking up urine but he insists on just sitting where he goes.
It's so sad to see him & I'm sure psychologically it can't be doing him any good
The one positive is that we've avoided urine scalding or burning (so far)

Hello there

I'm sorry Sailor is still having problems with incontinence. I replied to you with your earlier posting about him, andI mentioned Oxycare tablets, but forgot to get back to you re the dosage - my apologies. My bun was given them for incontinence - he is 11 and has arthritis so just tends to wee where he sits. The dosage was 50mg twice daily for one week and then you can give them as a maintenance course for 5 days on and 5 days off etc., if the incontinence returns after the first course. I do understand your situation and know how upsetting it is to see your bun wet and smelly from urine. Try asking your vet about the Oxycare and see if it helps and I am sending positive vibes for Sailor and for his wifey bun Foxy.

And now this morning Foxy seems off colour though I do think she is concerned about her Husbun

I would discuss the possibility of EC being involved here.

If it is then Foxy is potentially at risk too and I would advise you to ask the Vet about starting both Rabbits on Fenbendazole (Panacur or Lapizole)

I hope the test results cast some light on what is going on.

Well we've had an up & down few days. Really didn't think we were going to bring Sailor home on Friday but between us & the vet Paula, we decided to give him a last chance.
They to him in, had to anaesthetise him due to the pain he was in & clipped his fur back as far as possible then cleaned him up.
Now on antibiotics, painkillers, antibiotics, gel & Panacur & was for review yesterday.
This went fairly well. Skin not so sore & looked drier (as in incontinence) so to continue & review again on Friday.
This morning a bit wet again but a loy more fight when giving him his meds & gel
If anyone has any positive vibes for my little man I would be extremely grateful
PS Foxy is now fine after going off her food but I'm sure she reacts as to how her Husbun is

Well what a difference a week makes (fingers firmly crossed)
Sailor has been on anti biotics, anti inflamatories, painkillers, Panacur etc for a week & about 3 days ago we realised that he was moving much more easily, up on all 4 feet which we realised he hadn't been doing.
Back to vets this morning & we now feel that he is perhaps arthritic & now getting some relief & therefore able to pee & move out of the way.
Paula still wants to see him next week, but overall, looking so much brighter, happier & mobile.
Long may this continue:D:D

So pleased Sailor is doing better, only just read this as havent been on forum for a few days. Sending vibes that he continues to get better x

I would discuss the possibility of EC being involved here.

If it is then Foxy is potentially at risk too and I would advise you to ask the Vet about starting both Rabbits on Fenbendazole (Panacur or Lapizole)

I hope the test results cast some light on what is going on.

I would echo this entirely. The incontinence and weight loss and rear leg issues all point to this or other neurological issue.

I would echo this entirely. The incontinence and weight loss and rear leg issues all point to this or other neurological issue.

He & Foxy are continuing on with the Panacur for another 3 weeks (4 in total) When weighed his weight has actually remained the same since June & as mentioned, it would appear that it was his restricted movement rather than incontinence that is/was causing the issues
However, still early days, but looking so much better:D:D

Well, it's 2 weeks since we had that toughest of tough conversations with our vet about Sailor & we agreed to "give him one more go"
Since then (touching wood) with the help of the vet, practice & us medicating & treating twice a day, he has made enormous steps.
Still looks pathetic, mainly due to his lack of fur on back legs & around his bum, but he is eating, weeing & pooing well, no longer incontinent & most pleasingly, is again binking round the garden
Has been for another review today & apart from slightly sore eyes (more cream) he was given a "pass" for 2 weeks until he has to go back.
Still on antibiotics, painkillers & anti inflamatories & both have 2 more weeks of Panacur - but all in all, very positive.
Thank you Paula for helping & supporting us, Sailor & Foxy:):D

Back