• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What to do about vet refusing appointment for poorly bunny

Cloud

Warren Scout
I took my 3 year old bunny to the vet she is registered with on 21st August, as she was grinding her teeth, had diarrhoea, seemed to have lost weight and was not as bright as usual. The vet prescribed Septrin and Ranitidine. Her poo improved but a week later the diarrhoea returned, so I took her back to the vet, who informed me it is good to give greens to a bunny when they have diarrhoea and that so long as she was eating something and going to the toilet, then she didn't care! I suggested to her that it might be a good idea to weigh her to see if she had lost any weight since the week before. Bunny had lost weight (now weighs 1.9, down from usual 2.6). Today she still had diarrhoea, so I phoned the vet, who refused to give her an appointment and told me to keep her at home if she is eating something. She is insured, so I went into another vet and explained the situation and asked if they could provide me with a second opinion. Thankfully I managed to get an appointment- the vet is doing some tests and she will phone me tomorrow. I get so worried and upset when my bunny is ill and this is not the first time I have come across a vet who doesn't seem to know what they are doing. I once had a vet look at me and say, 'you probably know more about rabbits than I do!' Why is it so difficult to obtain medical care for a rabbit, when you are paying for it? They are the third most popular pet aren't they? And don't get me started on barking dogs in waiting rooms pulling at their owner's lead.
I want to write to the manager of the vet who wouldn't see my bunny but I'm not sure how to approach the issue so that I will be taken seriously. I'm thinking of including some RWA leaflets for the manager to give to the vet ;) She even accused me of keeping my bunny in a hutch- she lives in the house with me, where she should be. I don't want any more bunnies to suffer at the hands of this vet.

:( Sounds a terrible vet, I would definately complain.

Where are you ? If you put up a thread to find a rabbit savvy vet, I am sure someone can help.

Thanks, I'm in North East Lincolnshire. The vet I was using was the only one I could find who would order in Lapinject (my bunnies plus a friend's made 5). When I first moved here I really struggled to find a vet- it was a case of, 'we've got an appointment in two weeks time, during the day (when I would have been at work)'. Two weeks is a long time for a poorly bunny to wait- any vet should know that. Even though they are insured, I still stress about being able to obtain the treatment they need.

Thanks, I'm in North East Lincolnshire. The vet I was using was the only one I could find who would order in Lapinject (my bunnies plus a friend's made 5). When I first moved here I really struggled to find a vet- it was a case of, 'we've got an appointment in two weeks time, during the day (when I would have been at work)'. Two weeks is a long time for a poorly bunny to wait- any vet should know that. Even though they are insured, I still stress about being able to obtain the treatment they need.

I am near London and don't know Lincolnshire but know there are many members on here from the North.

Two weeks is a long time. I have never experienced what has happened to you but with insurance I would try the emergency vets.

That is simply appalling - do put up a thread asking for rabbit savvy vets in north lincs . . I am in Cambridge so no help.

So sorry you are going through this. I know how you feel as I had to walk out of my usual practice (not my usual vet) as the vet refused to give meds and was told to "see how she goes". I immediately went elsewhere and my bun was given the correct care by another vet who is now my first port of call.

What tests is the second one doing? Diarrhoea is very serious in bunnies (as you know) as they can dehydrate very quickly.

Sending your bunny lots of vibes and hope you have now found a bunny savvy vet.

I would also advise you to put a note in rabbit chat and the area you are in to see if anyone can recommend a vet near to you (you can also try the search facility on here).

She seems brighter today and no diarrhoea- just smaller than usual poo. The vet gave her Panomec and Enrocare, checked her teeth, temp. and the stool sample will be checked for coccidiosis.
Complaint letter is written - about this occasion and that when she had to go into hospital, they wouldn't let her sister stay with her and they fought when they got home and so I had to restart the bonding process- all of which could have been avoided if they had accepted my sensible request.
I have renewed by RWA subscription and I am hoping they can point me in the direction of a rabbit savvy vet. I know none of the others here will use Lapinject, but Cylap shouldn't be an issue by the time their vaccs are due.

Vet never did phone back. That's two vets now who have sent my bunny home to starve to death. With the exception of one day, since 20th, I have woken up to a deteriorating, sick bunny. It is heart-breaking. I phoned the vet to explain she hasn't eaten for 2 days and has urine on her fur and is just sitting in the corner. They said someone will call. I phoned at 9.00. I don't think they will phone back. I don't know what to do.

Do you have access to any forage that is supposed to help buns tums i.e. blackberry leaves and hawthorn. They may help a little but not sure what else to suggest except to ring the emergency vets or find another vet that is open all day today/tom.

Sending your bunny lots of vibes x

I'm so sorry you seem to have been let down by your current vet. :(

Re. the alternative vet that RedFraggle linked to:
Vets will have an emergency service for when they're closed so, even though the website says they're closed for routine appointments, you'll still be able to phone for some advice and to make an emergency appointment with them. If bunny isn't eating and still seems unwell then it sounds like she needs to be seen again today really.

Lots of vibes. xxx

I managed to persuade another vet to see her as an emergeny. Vet was off with me for changing vets and said he probably knows these people and they are all competent to treat bunnies. This experience with vets has really made me think twice about having bunnies. I know my buns and I felt the other two vets had sent my bun home to starve to death. It is what would have happened if the vet I saw today hadn't ended her life. She had been ill on and off with similar probs during her little life and the prognosis, even if, in her weak state, she survived the op. would have been very poor and she was likely to always have further problems. It's the first time I have had to make the decision. It is a relief but I don't feel good. How can vets be so off with me- I was trying to do right by my bunny and I was right that she was seriously ill. I have her body now (I hate dead bodies- that's why I am a veggie, dead bodies (not death) gross me out). Thought it would be right to put her body by her sister so she can get used to the fact that her sister won't be coming back. Had the other vets been treating her correctly, it would not have come to this- she had a sharp tooth which he thought had caused her not to eat and by now her gut has a hard, large mass which was beyond treatment with anything other than major surgery but due to the location, if she survived, normal function was very unlikely and of course, the teeth would have needed regular treatment. There were other things too. I still can't believe the first vet's casual attitude to diarrhoea and small poo.

:cry: I am so very sorry you had to let yer go. You did everything possible to help her. Keep a close eye on her sister and make sure she eats/poops and gets some extra cuddles off you.

Hugs to you xxx

She had a sniff around the dead body and then started munching hay. I will keep a close eye on her over the next few days. They used to cuddle and groom each other a lot and have never lived apart from each other

Aw, bless her.

I lost my 9yr old bunny in May and put him with his partner for a couple of hours. She snifffed him, licked him but then went around her business and came back a couple of times. They had been together for 6 years and she was like his shadow. She was quiet for a few weeks after and went into statis about 3-4 weeks after losing him so it is really important to keep a close eye on her for the next few weeks.

Back