• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can I should i keep neutered Male with intact female? Advice wanted

Mrsmcarey

Mama Doe
I have a Male Bun called Stu he is sweet, now at 5 months old, thinking about getting him done, even tho he is destined to be a lone bunny.

However, i am thinking of getting him a pal, as i start work in few weeks, and wont be able to spend as much daytime with him and don't want a lonely lone bun.

If i get him done and get a female intact, will they fight or does she need to be spayed also, worried about this as the female op is more delicate than the male, obviously.

A female should be spayed to stop her being hormonal and to reduce the rick of cancer. If you find a local rescue they should be already spayed :D

You might want to try RSPCA Walsall because they are likely to be close and they do bonding, spaying/neutering and vaccinating. They are a fantastic rescue.

Ideally get an already neutered bun from a rescue near you and this will eliminate the problem.
Intact does can be kept with neutered bucks but there is a much high risk of them fighting and most importantly of all, an intact doe has an 80% of contracting uterine cancer so needs to be spayed for health reasons.
The operation is more involved and carries a higher risk for does but it is still a much lower risk than that of the cancer and therefore in the view of most rabbit savvy people an essential preventative measure.

Your bunnies also need to be vaccinated against VHD and myxomatosis if you live in the UK.

ETA- it is an excellent idea to get your bunny a friend. :thumb::D

Back