• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Me again... Digging prevention?!!!

Summer&Skye

Mama Doe
Hello I'm being a pain at mo with all my questions!! Latest one is about digging in the run... I have meshed underneath the whole run, not too deep cos of rubble etc but some areas it is a few inches deep. I left an overlap of mesh sticking out and stapled the back part to the fence as run is next to fence and I wouldn't have been able to get round to staple to run. On the sides I have stapled the mesh to outside of run. However, now the run is in place it is about 3-4" away from the fence (can't push it further as it needs to rest on paving stones at front or else it's too unlevel and it's right on edge) So now I'm worried that if they decide to dig around the back of the run, they will only need a few inches to squeeze under and through the gap between the run and fence. I have used bricks next to the paving stones (as the mesh was sticking out here so mainly for rabbits safety) and was going to continue these along the back, so do u think this will be enough to prevent them digging there? Kind of wish now id left the mesh loose and stapled it to the inside of the run but too late now, and this run is not moving!! :lol: should I get extra mesh down along the back just to be safe like those anti dig strips? The pic may or may not help in the slightest to help u understand!! Sorry this is such a long post! My basic question is will bricks be enough to prevent digging along the edge of the run?? :oops: Thank u!! :thumb:

62C7C1D6-B4D9-461F-8557-E33286CE3390-21906-00001A1BBA5AD708.jpg

Yes, I have found bricks to work quite well in preventing diggers to dig out. But once hormones have fallen most of them don't bother with digging. A few still do.

Yes, I have found bricks to work quite well in preventing diggers to dig out. But once hormones have fallen most of them don't bother with digging. A few still do.

Humph I replied to this already but it didn't show!! Thanks, I will put more bricks around and keep an eye on them!! :wave:

This is the 4th or 5th time you've put this on a thread. Where do you get your information from? :lol:

It's wrong, i'm sorry, but its totally not true!

Nothing will stop digging :D it's a buns natural instinct. All of mine do no matter what I do to prevent it :lol: I just keep it safe for them :) I give them blankets and towels which they enjoy digging :) Donny & Lola only dig their blankets in their bed area, and leave the grass alone. When they do dig I know I have to move the run because they're telling me there isn't enough grass :lol:

But tbh I think your measures (bricks and mesh) will be enough :p

I like what you have done with the cage on top, can the buns get to the run on there own or do you have to put them in? Can't tell from the photo

I like what you have done with the cage on top, can the buns get to the run on there own or do you have to put them in? Can't tell from the photo

Thanks, it's not finished yet, iv got a runaround pipe to attach to allow access to run :wave:

So there is mesh all the way under but it's a couple of inches deep? Yes, I'd lift the turf and sink the bricks so they rest on the mesh. That should prevent any attempts at squeezingout. The other option would be to slide the bricks in along the gap between the run and the fence.

I do like your arrangement of the hutch/run, it can be tricky with the hutch above the run to access it without climbing in - that's a great idea to offset it :thumb:

So there is mesh all the way under but it's a couple of inches deep? Yes, I'd lift the turf and sink the bricks so they rest on the mesh. That should prevent any attempts at squeezingout. The other option would be to slide the bricks in along the gap between the run and the fence.

I do like your arrangement of the hutch/run, it can be tricky with the hutch above the run to access it without climbing in - that's a great idea to offset it :thumb:

Thanks :wave: I racked my brains to think of a suitable layout in the space I had available, but like u said, if the hutch was on top fully it would have been really hard to access to this way at least everyday feeding etc is easier. As for the run, I cant really pull up the turf as the run now rests on it, my idea was to put the bricks around the edges, on top of the turf, as I have done around the paved area. I did think of maybe dropping bricks down the back of the run aswell :thumb: I may put an extra strip of mesh there just to put my mind at rest a bit more!

Would you like pictures of my tunnels? (All dug by neutered bunnies).

2010_0706suttonstunnel20046.jpg

Last edited:
What you can do:
-Sink the wire mesh two feet into the ground
-lay wire mesh over the floor of the run
-supervise them
good luck;)

Back