• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxo :(

Hi All,

Just a little advise really...one of My rabbits was PTS yesterday following being diagnosed with mxyo (booster had run out - others are now immunised) She lived with her sister Rhonda who is not displaying any signs of the disease as of yet. The vet said this week is critical and should she get to Friday without showing symptoms hopefully she will be ok.

I was just wondering if any other bunny owners had another rabbit survive who lived with a rabbit with mxyo or is she definately going to get it? I know it sounds like a stupid question I just wanted to know her chances...:cry:

I also have two lionheads that lived in the hutch next door, both seem ok at the moment but Im worried that they could come down with it even though they dont live together.

If anyone has any info it would be greatly appreciated - I feel sick to my stomach feeling guilty about not getting their boosters knowing it was all my fault xxxx

Thanks xx

oh gosh, im soo sorry for your loss :cry: hope the other bunnies will be ok. i think a few members have experienced this and hopefully someone will be able to advise more nfo for you x

I am sorry :cry:

Myxomatosis is mostly spread by blood sucking insects such as mosquitoes or fleas. It can also be spread via direct contact with secretions from an infected Rabbit-nasal discharge etc.

All you can really do is wait and hope. Do you know which vaccine the Vet gave ?

If it was the new combination vaccine covering both Myxomatos and VHD the onset of full protection takes 3 weeks

If the vaccine given was the single dose Myxo one onset of full protection takes 2 weeks.

Have all your Rabbits and any other animals you may have all been treated for fleas ? I would advise you to ask the Vet about doing so if it has not been done.

Preventing flying insects from accessing the Rabbit's environment is also advisable, so the use of fly screens, flystrips etc

I do hope that your remaining Rabbits will be OK.

I have just lost a very beloved bun to Myxi,
It is really on the rise in this area at the moment, and there was a section in our local paper that its due to the high rainful we had and people not emptying areas that collect water after it has rained, then the warmer weather,

The bun we lost was a rescue and had 7 kits, she was in with them for a very short amount of time before we separated just in case before we had a diagnosis, none of the babies have shown any signs and it has nearly been a month since, none of the other buns close to them have shown any signs either,

She was one of only few that had recently come in and wasn't vaccinated, we are now all up to date apart from the babies who are too young, We are religious with citronella and have ordered plants that naturally secrete citronella and wash down all grass and patios daily to minimise flies attraction to the area, as the vacc doesnt stop it completely.

This isnt our local one but a article I found online - http://www.kentonline.co.uk/sittingbourne_messenger/news/2012/august/28/rise_in_rabbit_disease.aspx

We are also ordering mesh to go over the whole of the hutches on a frame to try and stop as many as we can, its heartbreaking to lose them in such a way.

Back