• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do you think?

Iceprincessx

Warren Scout
I run a boarding center but this is my first bunny. Does it look big enough for 2? Would you be happy to let your bunny stay here? They get an hrs free range supervised of course and cuddles and the veg they are used to at home.

E8B67E36-18DC-473B-8F90-3A04C52F42F3-941-000001C4F7CA34C1.jpg

Last edited:
I'd say no, not big enough for one, never mind two, but I am somewhat warped in my ideas of what is suitable having a rabbit who 24/7 free ranges the entire of the downstairs of my home. I would certainly expect more than an hours free range time if my Stevie was to come and stay in a similar set up, but that may just be me.

what i really like about your set up is it looks very cleanable. looks like the cage/run could be pressure washed and disinfected properly after each visiter. I do agree though- small- ok for one miniture rabbit given a lot of attention but definatly not two and not for a bigger bun. good start though- nice to see hay available, toys and stuff.

For a limited time period - a week say, and with the free range time, I would be happy with that space. When I board here (friends buns only), they have indoor cage and puppy pen.

ETA: you could add space by adding a couple of levels in the cage :)

If I turn it around I can open it up to 8 panels wide - would that be better? Also they're going out into a big outdoor run when it's dry. I'm never going to achieve free range of a house and I don't think any bunny minders do but I know they need the biggest space available. I plan to add another level still researching how to do it to ensure its secure. These were a last minute request! Yes the surfaces are easy to clean and ensure no contamination between guests. Hay is topped up as soon as they finish it so often 2, 3 times a day! I also health check and handle them each day! Any more advice welcome!

if you can make it larger then that'd be better, but if my rabbits were indoor house rabbits I wouldnt want them going outside :wave:

I think it's an ok size. When boarding it's not always realistic to expect lots of space like when your at home, to me what's more important is they are well cared for and any illness is picked up on quickly.

It's only for a limited time and often for people to make a profitable business several boarders will be in at once which means less space. My bunnies have a double bedroom at home with full-free range when im at home but when I went away for a week they had a large hutch with outside time, I was quite happy with this because the lady was lovely & I was confident they would be well looked after (plus I got text updates which was lovely).

Last edited:
Could you not just fence off the items in the room that you want to protect, then leave the crate door open and give free range of the room?

If I turn it around I can open it up to 8 panels wide - would that be better?

I have an indoor bun and if you added the extra panels I would be perfectly happy with that :D If you're not used to house bunnies, hide all your cables and make sure there's no holes they can squeeze into. I agree with Georgey that you need to be cautious about putting them outside, mainly the temperature, but also grass can upset their tums as their not used to it.

Personally I have more of an issue with quarantine than I do with space if I was boarding- I wouldn't put on grass, simply because how can you disinfect/steam clean between each bun board?

Yes, opening the pen out would be better :)

I think I'm the only person that wouldn't mind my buns being restricted for a week!

I have 13 though so have never boarded- I have to get someone in!

My outdoor pen is on concrete so very easy to disinfect. Also I only put these bunnies out as they are used to going out at home. At home they live in a double hutch in a shed and go out into a pen. So they're in a room with no heating on, window open with fly screen in place! I can't free range particularly if I have other bunnies in. I have seen on here boarders offering much smaller space that you have been happy with so to be honest am a little confused. I am not new to having rabbits I have had them for 15 years and they've lived to a good old age so I am good at spotting illness and caring for them. My last rabbit was free ranging but when he went to a boarders I was happy for them be in a smaller space as long as he was well cared for as it's only a limited time. I have turned it all around so they're in an extra large crate with an 8 panel pen.

Not sure whether to post this or not but I'm going to! Here's the changes to the pen they've had a nice long free range and will again tonight! They seem to be loving it it's much more space than they get at home I've been texting the owner and she's worried they won't want to come home again!

14C3DE23-C539-4916-9B71-6D7720B46110-2514-000003E5A78B7FE7.jpg

I hope in the future to have an option for a rabbit to free range (moving house soon) but at the moment it's not an option.

I'd be happy with the size, especially if it was for no longer than a week- it is only temporary. I'd be a bit concerned about them slipping on the floor though, but again, it's only for a few days. So, you get a paws up from me:D

Thank you for your kind reply. I was concerned about the flooring too and originally put fleece down but they just bunched it up. I've been watching them on the floor and they're not slipping even when they get up a bit of speed so seems ok it's not a really shiny slippy floor!

I'd be happy with mine in that for a week :) I would give you my rabbits litter tray though otherwise they would wee everywhere :lol: and I would probably like to see a lot more hay on offer :) That's what one of our indoor buns was in, but the bar chewing got too much so now she has run of the room and we folded the crate up :lol:

You could always get some carpet squares as 'rest points' for the wooden floor? :) They're only cheap, I get mine for 50p and 30p :) I think they would be easy to sterilise too, vinegar and a good scrub :thumb:

I'd be happy with the size of that too :thumb:. They can slip around on laminate floor. I used to cover mine but they'd dig the covers up and walk on it anyway :roll:.

that looks really good :) how about some old rubber car mats on floor? cheap, easy to disinfect and none slip. would save your floor getting ruined

As others have said when boarding your animals you often have to accept they won't have the same amount of space and attention they get at home. Your set up looks plenty big enough :D

Most important factors
Safety..so secure cages/pens..no wires near or other dangers such as houseplants etc

Knowledge of carer...I would not board a rabbit at a place where the person has no knowledge of common rabbit illnesses and is not near a good rabbit vet.

Quarantine..I would never board where grass runs are used and would ask what cleaning routine the place uses including name if disinfectant.

Vacs..I would only use a place that insists on vacs animals and checks each residents cert before admitting

and just to add to your query ..quaranine is so important in the instance of an ill animal. I know you recently lost your rabbit to snuffles :cry: ..so all areas he used and all cages/toys must have been thoroughly disinfected..and any protective clothing you wore while handling him.
All personal pets must be kept away from visitors

I'd be happy with mine in that for a week :) I would give you my rabbits litter tray though otherwise they would wee everywhere :lol: and I would probably like to see a lot more hay on offer :) That's what one of our indoor buns was in, but the bar chewing got too much so now she has run of the room and we folded the crate up :lol:

You could always get some carpet squares as 'rest points' for the wooden floor? :) They're only cheap, I get mine for 50p and 30p :) I think they would be easy to sterilise too, vinegar and a good scrub :thumb:

They've got a litter tray in the crate meant to put another 1 in the run area too. They've got hay in 3 places there's some in the litter tray, a hay rack and in the run in a hay ball.

Carpet tiles are a good idea thanks xx

Back